016, Bonded.

This laughter was something Atula was going to miss

They reminded each other of stories that have collected together after multiple years, some being challenging for them to here.

Jake carried a basket Atula had woven, allowing her to pick fruits and place them inside.

He wanted her to be as settled as ever, knowing she was close to giving birth. Jake didn't want to put any extra stress across her body.

But, that didn't last long with their children.

"You allowed this. You allowed him to bond with the outcast!" Ronal yelled to Tsireya, pointing directly at Lo'ak.

Atula knew what they were talking about — Lo'ak had bonded with Payakan.

Jake looked down at Atula, noticing as she bit her lip and eavesdropped on the conversation. "Tsireya," She winced at the tone of Tonowari's voice, "You, disappoint me daughter."

Atula's ears fell down out of sympathy as she watched Tsireya twist her face into sadness. It had probably been the first time hearing those words aimed to her, by her own father.

"And you... son of a great warrior, who has been taught better!" Tonowari said to Lo'ak, Jake's hand holding onto the small of Atula's back as they walked into the pod.

"Payakan saved my life, sir. You don't know him," Lo'ak said as he inched towards Tonowari, Tsireya wanted him to be quiet and finally listen to their words about Payakan.

Lo'ak turned to Atula, "Right, mom?"

Jake's eyebrows raised, making his forehead crease as he looked at Atula.

Sometimes, he thought she was just like a child. Running off and creating havoc.

"Sit — sit down!" Tonowari yelled, all of them squatting to the floor after his orders. "Hear my words, boy. In the days of the First Songs, Tulkun fought amongst themselves for territory, and for revenge. But, they came to believe that killing, no matter how justified, only brings more killing. So, all killing was forbidden. This is the Tulkun way," Tonowari explained, using his hands to talk also, "Payakan is a killer. So, he is outcast."

"I'm sorry, sir, but you are wrong," Lo'ak replied before turning to face Atula.

She had seen Payakan, Atula had swam and played with the Tulkun.

"Lo'ak, do not..." Atula warned before Jake's hand fell from her back, hanging onto his knees as he subtly bent over.

"Mom, you—" Lo'ak was about to speak but Jake cut him off, "That's enough!"

Atula closed her mouth, Lo'ak doing the same thing but deciding against keeping quiet, "I know what I know."

Jake inched closer to him, squatting to reach his face level, "That's enough. I'll deal with this one... and you." Jake grabbed Lo'ak up and dragged him away, also taking Atula's arm into his palm to do the same.

When they reached their pod, Jake pulled the leaf-door down to shelter anyone's view inside.

He turned to them both, Atula felt like she was a child being scolded by her parents.

"Atula, you should've known better than this," Jake began to talk as he looked at Atula, watching as she rubbed the place his hand had once gripped. "It's my fault, dad. I took mom there without telling her," Lo'ak said, protecting his mother as much as he could.

Jake flared his nostrils before looking down at Lo'ak, he wanted to yell and ground him forever but he knew that wouldn't last long.

"Just go," Jake told Lo'ak.

Atula sighed as she watched him join Tsireya's side, turning back to face Jake.

"I do what I want," She told him before holding onto her arm again, "And don't ever touch me like that again, okay?"

Jake nodded his head before looking at the reddened patch on her arm. "Shit... I'm sorry," Jake apologised before grabbing the yalnabark from the corner, instantly rubbing it on the spot.

Atula chuckled, "Yalnabark doesn't help red marks, skxawng. It helps heal cuts."

Jake laughed to himself before rubbing his hands clean, Atula helping him clean the yalnabark as she tried to ignore the pain coursing through her lower stomach.