Chapter 9

I wake up, the sunrise is in thirty minutes. I grab my training clothes and go into Tobias's room to look for some things. I take a gas mask and a gun, just in case. He doesn't seem to notice the quiet rattle of me taking things. I quickly run out to Caleb's apartment, "Open up, it's Raven!" I call. He opens the door, "Are you sure you want to do this?" He asks. I give him a stern look, "They should have named you Tobias jr," he mumbles.

We walk past the city, as silent as possible. Obviously everyone is asleep, so this is easy. When we reach the wall we are greeted by two officers, "Who are you guys?" Caleb asks. "Night patrol," one says, "we make sure no criminals come in." Caleb and I look at each other, "We were sent by Jack Kang to get something from the bureau," I say.

"Hold it!" I hear a familiar voice shout, the voice belongs to Peter. "You can't let this girl leave," he says, "Why should we listen to you?" An officer says. "Because I was sent by her dad, Tobias Eaton," Peter answers. The officers give each other shocked looks, "Sorry kid, go home," one says.

Peter pats my back and takes me back to Tobias's apartment, "Why?" Peter asks. "Why what?" I snap, "Why would you try to leave?" He asks. "I wanted to save my mom myself, well with Caleb," I say, he sighs, "You had good intentions but you put your life at risk."

"Tobias is too controlling, plus I figured since I have divergent blood I could save her myself."

"Your dad won't be happy."

"No kidding. Wait, how did you know I was there?"

"I didn't want to tell you but your dad sent me to spy on your conversations with Caleb."

"Are you serious?!"

"That's only because he cares about you."

"Way to much."

"He just doesn't want to lose you like he lost your mom."

"So? He goes to the extreme."

"When your mom comes back it'll be better."

"I doubt that."

Caleb goes to his apartment and Peter brings me to Tobias's. "Oh boy," I sigh, Peter knocks on the door, Evelyn opens it. "Why aren't you sleeping?" She asks me, I look at Peter, "I was going to leave to save my mom," I answer. She gives me an angry look, "Tobias told you he'd take you," she says.

Tobias walks in, "What happened?" He says half asleep. Peter and Evelyn stare at me, "What'd you do now?" He asks me. "I may have tried to sneak out to save my mom," I say, he puts his hand on his forehead. "You need to stop getting yourself into trouble!" He shouts, I look down.

"Look, obviously you're just a rebellious teen so I'm just going to put you under house arrest," Tobias says. "You can't do that!" I shout, "Oh, yes I can," he snaps. I sit on the couch, "Wow, now I've been arrested twice in thirteen years!" I yell, "I hate you!" He gives me a sad look, "Wow Evelyn, I take your advice and put my foot down and now the kid hates me!" He says.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that," I say. "I can't remember anything from the past but from what I was retaught is that Tobias is very protective of things he cares about," Peter says, and leaves. Evelyn and Tobias sit next to me and we all sit in an awkward silence, not sure what else to do.