Chapter 19

"Tobias, you're going to pay," A tall man says, I heard Tobias call him 'Zeke.' "That was thirteen years ago," Tobias argues, "You killed my brother!" Zeke shouts. "And not a day goes by that I don't feel guilty," Tobias says.

"Will that bring Uriah back?"

"No."

"Exactly."

"So what are you going to do? Kill me?"

"Yes. But not just you. You killed someone I love. Now I'm going to do the same. Word on the street is you have a daughter that you care very much about."

"You don't touch Raven."

"Raven, is that her name? Well what goes up must come down. And your flying Raven is going to be shot right down out of the sky."

"Zeke, I know you were Dauntless born and I wasn't. But I'm not the least bit scared of you, pansycake."

"We'll see about that."

Zeke shoots Tobias's arm, I panic and grab my gun and shoot him in the foot. He falls and goes unconscious. Tobias deeply inhales at the pain, I run to the bathroom and grab some first aid things.

"Sit," I tell him and sit him on the couch. I dab a washcloth on his wound, "The bullet didn't go to deep, you won't need stitches," I say. I carefully pull the small bullet out of his arm and wrap gauze around it. He gives me a hug, "Wow, I'm impressed, thank you," he says. "You're my dad, I'd do anything for you," I say.

"What are we going to do with him?" My mom asks. "I can take care of him," I answer, "just strap him down on a medical table and I can help him." Jared stares at me in amazement, I give a small smile. Tobias goes into a large trunk and pulls out a foldable medical table that is a bit taller than me.

"I can tie him down," Jared offers. Tobias hands him some rope, "Tie his arms and legs down, so he can't strangle Raven," Tobias explains. I do the same thing to Zeke as I did Tobias. "Mom, can you bring a pillow?" I ask, my mom takes a pillow off the couch and throws it to me. I carefully lift Zeke's head and place the pillow under it.

"He'll be okay," I say. I go onto the couch, "I'll sleep on the floor," Jared says. "I can take the floor," I argue. "No it's fine," Jared insists, I close my eyes and I hear Jared's voice. He doesn't sound like he's talking to me. I turn over and look at him, he's still asleep. He must be having a nightmare. Should I wake him up?

I reach my arm down and softly shake his arm. "Ah!" He shouts, "You're okay, it's me," I say. He sighs, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you up," he says.

"No worries, I talk in my nightmares all the time."

"It's terrible."

"Trust me I know."

"That's an effect of being Solvergent. Oh wait, you don't know what that means, do you."

"I do, actually. Peter told me."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Will you sit with me for a few minutes?"

"Sure."

"Thanks."

I crawl out of the couch and sit on my knees next to Jared. He puts an arm around my shoulder, and I do the same.

"Raven?" He asks. "Yes?"

"I love you."