Chapter 71

Jayden folded the paper in his palm and stood up. His face was impassive as he walked across the living room and made his way to the door.

Samuel cut him off before he got to the door. 'I'm coming with you,' he stated in a voice that brooked no arguments.

Jayden glanced at him. and after taking in his determined face, nodded in acceptance. 'That is probably for the best.'

They turned to leave, but Leo stopped them. 'Hold on, where are you guys going?'

'And why do you look as if someone died?' Cam asked coming up behind him.

They turned to meet their friends' puzzled expressions and Samuel felt something tighten in his chest.

'Jayden and I just have something to take care of,' he said. 'We can't explain now but I promise we'll tell you everything when we get back.'

There must have been something in his expression because Leo frowned at his words and said shortly, 'No.'

Samuel looked at him. 'No?'

'No,' Leo stated firmly. 'I'm not letting you walk out that door.'

'What are you doing?' Cam questioned sharply.

'Look at them,' Leo stated. 'I have seen those faces before and I'm not going to let it happen a second time.'

'What are you talking about?' Samuel asked exasperatedly. 'We don't have time to-'

'It was eight o'clock in the night and I was playing with my soldiers when the knock came from the door,' Leo stated, cutting him off sharply. 'Three men walked in and my mother took one look at them and turned to me. 'Go to bed Nardo, your father and I have something to take care of.' I asked her what it was and she just shook her head saying, 'You're too young to understand, we'll tell you everything when you get older.'

The others were quiet as they listened to Leo speak. They had a feeling they knew how this story ends.

'I was a child,' Leo went on, 'so I just picked up my toys and went to bed. A few minutes later... or was it hours? Seconds? I don't know, time had no meaning then. I woke up to smoke filling my vision. I cried and run downstairs to my parents but I was too late. Their bodies lay on the ground as the flames surrounded me, burning away the last traces of my childhood.'

His eyes were dry as he looked directly at Samuel. 'Do you know why I'm telling you this?'

Samuel didn't answer, he couldn't answer, his throat was choked by sadness. Leo, however, wasn't expecting him to.

'You looked exactly as my mother did when she told me to go to bed. I'm not going to bed. Not this time. So either you tell me exactly what's going on, or you are not leaving this room.'

Samuel's mouth opened but no sound came out. He glanced helplessly at Jayden only to realise he was no longer by his side. He turned back to Leo just in time to see him fall silently into Jayden's arms.

His eyes were closed and his breath came out in even puffs as he lay unconscious in Jayden's arms. Jayden laid him carefully down on the sofa. 'I'm sorry but we really don't have time for this. I'll make it up to you when I get back I promise.'

He turned to leave but a hand reached out to grab him. He looked up at its owner to see Noel staring intently at him.

'You are coming back, right?' Noel asked uneasily.

Jayden gave him a small smile. 'When have I ever broken a promise?'

Noel didn't seem thoroughly comforted by that but, after a while, he nodded and let go of his arm.