Traitors

He did remember after all, the memory broke into my thoughts like a thief who wanted to take everything that belonged to me. The feelings when he stood in front of me and was so close, my heart beat in my chest so loudly that I thought he must hear it.

He had pretended not to remember, he had lied. I felt betrayed. I felt cheated out of my first kiss because I wanted it to be with him. I shook with anger and felt my eyes burning.

"You lied!" I screamed, and my fingernails dug so deep into my palms that the skin ripped.

"Oh, and you didn't?" he spat back. Our eyes locked onto each other, both full of anger and rage.

For a moment, a suffocating silence prevailed between us. We faced each other, both with bright red faces and eyes that sparkled with anger. I felt my chest tighten and my heart beat even faster. I wanted to hit him, to shout at him, anything to release the anger and disappointment inside me.

But then I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down. "No, I didn't lie," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady, although I really wanted to scream out loud. "I never said that I didn't remember. I just didn't want to talk about it because I thought it would be better for both of us."

"Oh great idea, Hawkins! You got me to start something with Nerida Roberts!" he accused me, and I raised my eyebrows, that couldn't be serious.

"Oh, I forgot that you were under my Imperio curse when you slept with her!", I said sarcastically. He took a step towards me and I raised my wand again. "Stay where you are before I pulverize you, Sallow!" My hands were shaking, and tears were already streaming down my cheeks.

Sebastian hesitated for a moment, but the anger in his eyes hadn't diminished at all, and neither had mine.

At that moment, I really wanted to hurt him, and I hated myself for that thought. The words stuck in my throat. Both wands pointed at each other.

We were like two chess masters waiting for the other's next move, ready to sacrifice our queens for the win.

His eyes shone, tears welled up in his eyes, I knew that no matter who made the first move, everything between us would never be the same again.

"You're a traitor who manipulates everyone around you!" It was as if he had slapped the words right in my face, and I gripped my wand tighter.

"I'm not doing anything of the sort, you miserable snake," I gritted my teeth.

"Depulso!" Sebastian called out, but a silent Protego saved me from being thrown off the platform. I stared at him in horror.

"You're out of your mind, Sebastian!", I called out and took a step back as he approached me. I didn't have much space left before my back would hit the railing.

"Just admit that you wanted to hurt me when you claimed in the hospital wing that you're not interested in anyone!" I was almost certain that our shouts and accusations could be heard in the Great Hall.

"You really think the world revolves around you, Sebastian!" I said disdainfully. His gaze was filled with hatred, and he had never looked at me like that before. I felt something hollow slide into my heart, a void that I didn't understand.

"What about Evangeline?" He asked desperately. I could ask him the same thing about Nerida.

I hesitated for a moment before answering, "That's none of your business, Sebastian," but he didn't seem to want to accept that and yelled at me, "You manipulated me, played with my feelings and used me like a toy!" he retorted angrily.

"You've been using me all along to save Anne!" I shouted, "You've taken advantage of my powers and my feelings for you, and don't tell me you didn't know!"

"Confringo!" The tall Slytherin shouted, and I was thrown backward, landing with my front against the railing and my knee hitting the hard stone. Pain shot through my entire body and my head.

My soul was shattered.

The pain also spread to my knee, which I had landed on. I stared at him in horror, and even Sebastian didn't seem to know what he had just done. He dropped his wand.

"So you did want to hurt me back then," I whispered, tears streaming down my face. I groaned, and Sebastian approached me, but I aimed the wand at him and said loudly, "Don't you dare!" and turned my gaze away from him.

"Beth, please, I'm sorry," he croaked, his voice breaking. I cried bitterly, unable to believe he had really done that.

"I thought back then in the Scriptorium, when you cast Crucio on me, you did it because there was no other way, so that we wouldn't die down there," my words were like shards in my mouth, fittingly, I tasted blood because my lip had split.

"But you wanted to hurt me," my voice was cold, although fragile and soaked in tears. "You wanted to see me suffer," I whispered and looked him directly in the eyes, they were filled with fear.

Fear and horror.

"N-no, B-Beth, please-" but I cut him off. "That's it, Sebastian," Nails, shards, it was like needles on my tongue. I didn't want to do this, but there was simply no going back. "I wish I had realized what you were capable of earlier," I said tonelessly, turned around and walked down the stairs, my knee bleeding heavily and leaving red drops on the steps, but I could hardly feel the pain.

"Farewell, Sebastian," my voice broke under the pain I felt.

My thoughts were empty, my chest felt hollow. Something very quiet in me wished he would run after me and tell me I was wrong, begging me on his knees. My tears still flowed as I was in the girls' washroom in Ravenclaw Tower, tending to my knee.