Chapter 56

The next few weeks pass without any results. I don't speak to Sebastian unless it's about school matters or students. We greet each other in the morning during breakfast, just like we greet all the other teachers. Mirabel observes the whole situation for about three weeks until one afternoon she appears in my office and looks at me sharply.

"I know it's none of my business, but I saw the two of you back then when you were head over heels in love and couldn't keep your hands off each other. Maybe you still remember how I caught you two in the restricted area during class, and now-" she stops herself before launching into a monologue that would last half an hour.

"What happened, Elisabeth? Why are you two so cold to each other?" Mirabel asks. I wave my wand, which was lying next to me, and the door closes. With a muttered "Muffliato," I ensure that anyone who comes near the door has an annoying buzzing sound in their ears.

"Sit down, Mirabel," I say, pointing to a chair in front of my desk. I feel strange talking to her like this, she is older than me, and she used to be my teacher. "I don't know where to start," I say. Mirabel looks at me expectantly.

"Would you like some tea first?" I ask, letting two cups and a teapot float over from a sideboard on the wall. I pour two cups, even though Mirabel might not drink tea. I take a sip and take a deep breath. When you don't know where to start, it's best to start from the beginning, and that's what I do. I tell her everything that happened in the fifth year, how Eleazar died. Mirabel knows all about it and also knows that Sebastian was always by my side. I don't tell her that he killed his uncle. I tell her how I sealed the map chamber, only to reopen it when the absolute emergency called for it. I tell her what happened between Sebastian and me before he disappeared, and finally, how our last encounter played out.

I also tell her that a few weeks ago, he stormed into my room and almost attacked me, and why things have become so icy between us. When I reach the end, the sun has already set. Mirabel takes a sip of her tea, which is still hot thanks to magic.

"This story demands something stronger than herbal tea, my dear," she says and takes a flask out of her cloak pocket. I raise an eyebrow, "Do you always carry that with you?" I ask, puzzled, and Mirabel laughs, "You never know when there's something to toast to."

I'm satisfied with the answer, although I find it concerning that she carries alcohol in her cloak, but that shouldn't be my concern. She pours a little of the slightly pink liquid into each of our teacups. She's right. This story needs more than just tea. The fact that I'm not an alcoholic is only because I have my students and I can draw strength from teaching them.

"Why don't you try talking to him again? From what I can see, he just seems a little hurt and could use someone to listen to him," Mirabel says now. I shake my head and take a sip of what seems to be something like whiskey. "I just want to forget about it, I've been trying to get over him for years, thinking he was my great love taken away from me, and now I know that's not the case," I take a deep breath, "I now know that he was alive all this time and didn't even bother to contact me. What kind of person does that, Mirabel?"

Mirabel looks at me with concern, and I set the cup down. "I can move on from my great love now because I know he's not what I always thought he was," I say, and for the first time, I'm certain it's true. I can move on. He's right in front of me, and it will be difficult for me, difficult for my heart to say goodbye, but I'll manage. Somehow.

"I'm not sure if I should believe you," Mirabel says. "You two were a little, cute miracle for Sirona and me after everything you went through. I always thought I would read about your wedding in the Daily Prophet," she says. I bite my lip, feeling a lump in my throat at her words.

"Real life is unfortunately not a fairy tale," I say with an uncertain voice. Mirabel nods slowly.

"Just take care of yourself, don't deny yourself a second chance just because you think you don't deserve it," she says.