Promises

This chapter contains self harm

"Are you serious?" Evangeline exclaimed when I told her that evening in the common room about what had happened in the Room of Requirement. A few heads turned to look at us.

"Please speak a little quieter," I hissed and Evangeline just looked at me in disbelief.

"After everything he's done?" she asked, now in a whisper. I shrugged. "He apologized," I said, that was the truth. We had talked for a long time after he asked me if he could court me, and he had apologized repeatedly.

"Elisabeth, I understand that you're in love with him, but Sebastian attracts problems like a moth to a flame," she said, and I smiled. "Have you ever thought that I could be much worse than he is? I'm the one with the ancient magic, and I can't control it," I whispered. Evangeline closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.

That was all I had told Evangeline, only about the old magic. Only Sebastian and I knew the rest. Not even Ominis knew that I had used the Unforgivable Curses. It had only been the Cruciatus Curse, but that was enough to be considered a dark wizard in the eyes of most witches and wizards.

Sebastian regretted his actions, while I smiled as I remembered what I had done to Rockwood. If one of us attracted trouble, it was me.

"You're the heroine of Hogwarts, you'll know what you're doing, but if he hurts you like that again," "Then I'll blow him up," I finished Evangeline's sentence before she could, "I can take care of myself, Eva," I said. "And now tell me what you and Ominis talked about after you left us alone in the hallway."

Evangeline looked apologetic, but that expression didn't last long, it was replaced by a broad grin.

"Well...you and Sebastian aren't the only ones who have made official arrangements," Evangeline said, her cheeks blushing slightly as she fiddled with her fingernails.

"That's wonderful!" I said. "I'm really happy for you, Eva." She grinned as if the sun had just risen on her face.

"He's really everything I've ever dreamed of, and he's not one of those guys who are only with me because they like how I look," said my pretty friend. She really was a beauty. Where I came from, she would have long been married to a wealthy lord who courted her only for her beauty, but Evangeline was much more than a pretty face.

She was intelligent and witty, she cared about others, and was the calm in the storm. I probably would have courted her if Sebastian didn't haunt my thoughts.

"So I'm going to be your maid of honor, right?" I asked, grinning, which earned me a slap on the arm. "We're not that far yet," Evangeline replied. "It looked different in the undercroft yesterday," I said, another slap. For such a lovable person, Evangeline was quite violent.

"Be quiet, Elisabeth, don't forget that I can read minds and know exactly what you want to do with Sebastian!" I looked at her with a withering glance. Most of the time, Evangeline didn't read anyone's thoughts, but there were moments when she simply screamed certain thoughts out.

"Ich wanted to meet with Ominis in the undercroft now too," said Evangeline. I grinned at her mischievously, "The undercroft, alone?" I asked. Evangeline hit me on the shoulder. "Don't you dare say a word, Hawkins!" hissed the white-haired beauty, and then stood up to leave. "Have fun," I said, and now she was the one giving me a withering look.

As if I would tell anyone that she was meeting Ominis alone, that was not my business and we were friends. Besides, she was right. I always acted like I wasn't buttoned up, but in truth, I was afraid to go further than wild making out.

I decided to retreat to the dormitory already. It was already too late to walk through the school, but Evangeline would sneak her way to the crypt and they would probably be there all night.

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep in the dormitory.

***

I fell down, I could apparate, but no matter what I tried, it just didn't work. I had lost too much blood, I just didn't have the strength anymore.

Suddenly something grabbed me and I felt myself flying through the air at a speed faster than any broom.

When I landed, he was standing in front of me.

"You came."

"You called"

I hugged him, he was warm and sweating, but I didn't care, too much time had passed since we last saw each other.

"I thought I wouldn't see you again," I breathed.

"I promised you something, did you really think I'd let you fight those monsters alone?"

I shook my head at his question, "No," I felt myself losing balance and fell into his arms.

I felt sick, "I lost a lot of blood," I breathed, then everything went black.

***

I woke up startled, now I was already collapsing in my nightmares, was I really that fragile?

I looked around disoriented, Evangeline still wasn't in her bed, she was probably really in the undercroft.

I threw myself back on my pillow and stared at the enchanted ceiling for a while, sometimes I wondered if the nightmares meant something or were due to the trauma.

I needed some fresh air and went back up to the astronomy tower, where a tall Slytherin with tousled hair was already standing and looking up at the sky.

"Do you come here often?" I asked as I joined Sebastian's side. He looked at me and a smile appeared on his face.

"Beth Darling," he said, and put an arm around my waist. I could feel the warmth of his fingers through the thin fabric. He drew small patterns on my side with his finger.

"I couldn't sleep," Sebastian said, looking at me again, "But you're not here to hurt yourself, are you?" Sebastian asked, concern etched on his face and also in his voice.

"No," I lied, "I had a nightmare and wanted some fresh air," I said. I hadn't stopped hurting myself, it had even gotten worse. Sebastian looked down at me. I concealed the scars with bandages, I didn't want them to heal.

"But you kept going," he breathed and nodded towards my leg, "Yes," I answered, "I'd rather not talk about it now, Sebastian," I said. He nodded and closed his arms around me, "You'll have to talk about it eventually, my love," he whispered.

But not now.

"Later," I breathed, then I stood on my tiptoes and wrapped my arms around his neck to kiss him.