Chapter 58

It's like back then, only we're older now. Sebastian and I meet up after class at the Three Broomsticks, and then we either go for a walk or prepare for our lessons. We read together, or I draw while he models for me. Just like it used to be. On weekends, we hardly leave our rooms, and Ominis and Evangeline are once again a part of his life.

I am finally happy again, and I hope it stays this way. I believe this is the first time in years that I have felt true peace. We tried to keep it a secret to give ourselves time, but a student saw us when we thought we were alone in the classroom. You'd think we should know better, but we're no better than the kids we teach.

By now, the entire Hogwarts knows, and I couldn't care less.

"Take a look at this," I say, handing Sebastian a piece of parchment as we sit in my office, once again preparing for our lessons. "This is awful, who wrote this?" he responds, and I chuckle slightly. It's an essay by a fourth-year student who has exceptional talent in practical magic and flying but has no interest in theory.

"Henry Potter, I'm glad he's so gifted in practice; otherwise, I'd have no hope for him," I say, but I want to believe that he'll make something of himself. I want to believe that about all my students, but the fact is not everyone can be a talented Auror or Magizoologist. I fear that some may not stay on a good path, and surely there will be students who will go down in history and shake things up. That's just the reality. Sebastian and I weren't always law-abiding either, and I fear that even now, I can't always be.

"In Defense Against the Dark Arts, he's certainly unmatched, but yes, this here should be burned," Sebastian says, setting the parchment aside. I laugh and jot down some notes on another piece of parchment. I have a lot to do today. I wanted to go to the Map Chamber to speak with the other Guardians. There have been strange occurrences at one of the test sites, and I'm the only one who can investigate, but I won't do these things without proper assistance.

I don't need someone to look after me, but going somewhere all alone and putting myself in potential danger is unwise, and while I may be impulsive, I'm no longer irrational.

"By the way, there have been some strange occurrences that I'd like to investigate, and it would be nice if you could come along for support," I suggest as I take another piece of parchment from the stack and attempt to correct it. Barely any mistakes. Excellent. This is one of the students who excel in theory.

"Of course, I'll accompany you, Darling," Sebastian says, and I smile with delight.

"It should be convenient on the weekend, it's nothing that requires immediate action, just a few rumors down in Marunweem."