8

A/N: Did someone say double update?

Sorry for any mistakes!

XXXX

XXXX

Santana had officially dubbed Madison Casper as a weirdo.

She watched from her place at the river's edge as Madison bent down a few feet away from the bank of the river and opened a small ziplock bag. She dug her tiny dollar store shovel into the dirt and placed a sample of the soil in the bag, zipping it closed with a quick step away from the water.

"Do you have a Sharpie?" Madison called to her partner. She looked up at Santana and frowned when she thought she noticed the Latina quickly look away from her and continue collecting random rocks in the sandy part of the water. "I wanted to make sure we labeled the bags. It will help with efficiency later when we put in the data and run our tests."

"Uh..." Santana dug through the pocket of her windbreaker and pulled out a Sharpie. "Yeah. Come 'ere and get it."

She frowned when Madison stepped back to the bank and held her hand out, not taking a step into the water. She rolled her eyes and crossed back over, and handed the writing tool to the younger girl, rolling her eyes when she tucked it behind her ear after scribbling down a label.

"Oh, so I don't get it back?" Santana asked, arching a brow when Madison rolled her eyes.

"Do you need to label anything?" She asked, taking the Sharpie from her ear and holding it out to Santana.

"It's my Sharpie, Ghostly." Santana snatched it back and shoved it into her pocket so Madison would have to ask for it again rather than ignoring her the entire time they worked. "Stays with me."

"Well, these are my ziplock." Madison reminded the cheerleader, stepping back from the water and looking down at the clay under her Converse.

"Whatever." Santana tossed Madison a few dollar-store vials and watched her fumble to catch them. "Help me collect water so we can move on."

Madison blinked a few times and chewed on her lip as she watched the cheerleader step further into the water with some thick boots she stole from her step-brother. She rubbed her arm and carefully moved to the water's edge again, bending down and sticking it in the water with the cap between her teeth. Her eyes raised when she heard Santana clear her throat.

"What?" Madison snapped. "I'm collecting water."

Santana aggressively waved a hand to her wet leggings and scoffed.

"If I must suffer in this cold, so do you!" She exclaimed, shivering through the breeze over the fast-moving water.

"We need to collect samples from the edge, middle, top, and bottom." Madison pursed her lips and stood up, whisking her wrist over the water. "You can swim your little waders to the middle and get a sample of the bottom while you're over there."