29

A/N: Who's here?

Long time no update.

XXXX

XXXX

Her long, curled hair bounced down her back as Madison walked into the choir room. She shared a smile with Brittany, completely ignoring Santana as she took her seat two rows ahead of the Cheerios.

Madison pretended not to notice the sad eyes the Latina gave her, a chair open to her left. She didn't want to make Santana think she'd put up with her bullshit anymore. She might be younger and less advanced in these departments, but she expected a natural level of respect when being someone's... friend. Instead, she had become a dirty little secret in the back of Santana's closet.

She could feel her eyes burning into the back of her head. It wasn't fair. This entire situation wasn't fair. Madison wasn't asking her to come out to the entire school. She just wanted to feel worth her time. Friends should be able to walk down the hall together.

And if they were friends...

Madison swallowed the lump in her throat, fiddling with the plastic of her sticker covered binder. Her eyes fell to the Disney exclusive stickers, chewing on the inside of her cheek. Could this have played a part in Santana's hesitation? She raised her hand up slightly, rethinking the question as she spied her complex planet designs on each nail.

Her eyes drifted over her shoulder to Brittany, shooting away just as fast when the bell rang. The blonde Santana preferred to be around, wore her cheerleading uniform to bed every night, nails perfectly groomed and clear, and a high ponytail as slick as the floors when substitutes arrived at Mckinley. Madison respected Brittany. Even liked to spend time with her sometimes. However, she felt pain in her chest, knowing Santana preferred to be around someone much more ordinary in appearance. Someone like everyone else to the naked eye.

Someone more beautiful. Someone more cheerful. Someone more... Santana's type.

"Mads?" Kurt frowned softly, gently resting a hand on the back of her chair. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Madison swiped her sleeve under her eyes and fixed her glasses. She winced at the realization Brittany didn't have glasses. "I'm okay."

Before Kurt could question her further, Mr. Schuester reluctantly guided a man to the front of the room.

"Okay, guys. Listen up." Mr. Schuester sighed. "This is Mr. Ryan. He's a member of the school board and he would like to say a few words."

The man took a few steps away, but stopped quickly and returned to the front of the room. "I-I just want you guys to listen critically and know that what he's saying is just one of the many opinions."