11

A/N: Who's here?

XXXX

XXXX

"Madison Blue Casper Hernandez, why on earth do you look like a drowned rat?"

Taking a short glance upward from her gloomy drag up the driveway, Madison's eyes widened as she walked through the front door of her home. She quickly shuffled her book bag onto the fourth hook on the hall tree, rushing down the hallway when she noticed her Abuelita leaning in the front room doorway.

"Abuelita!" Madison gasped, hugging the woman tightly.

"Oh my, Niña." Valeria shook her head at the sight in front of her. She cupped Madison's face and took in her damp purple-hued hair and sticky face. "Andrew! How dare you allow my grandchild to look like this in public!"

"Papi?" Madison's eyes brightened when the man rolled his eyes and entered the room with his arms crossed. "I thought you were going to be in Georgia this week?"

"What happened to you, Madison?" Andrew asked, looking over the teenager with a deep frown. "What happened to your contacts? You have plenty of nice clothing. I thought we talked about this stuff."

"I like my clothes, Papi." Madison's smile wavered when the man shook his head and looked away from her to check his phone. She turned back to her grandmother when the woman forced her face to the side. "I'm okay. The school had a slushy war. I got hit today by a football player with an IQ of a rock."

"Oh, Maddie, baby. You're being bullied at school?" Valeria asked, looking at Andrew with a slight glare. "Andrew, how are you okay with this? What are you gonna do about this?"

"The schools have always been like that," Andrew explained, typing across his phone. "And I've given her everything she needs to be successful. Madison chooses not to take it, then it's on her."

"This is why you should come to Georgia with me." Valeria smiled at her grandchild, giving her a little space when Madison scratched at her face and arms. "Your mother loved Georgia. And you're sweet like a peach, so you'll fit right in!"

"Might I remind you again." Andrew narrowed his eyes at his mother-in-law. "She's not moving just because you want her to. My daughter is staying here."

"Paige did not want her to stay in Lima. That was in her will." Valeria reminded the man as Madison frowned.

"Wills do not decide on the custody of a child, Val."

"Why would Mom want me out of Lima?" She asked, looking at her father. "You never told me that."

"Because your mother was sick in the head and thought your entire world would fall apart here. Now look at you. You're fine." Andrew shoved his phone into his pocket and ground his teeth in irritation. "Sometimes I wonder if the paranoia was genetic."