18

A/N: Double update!

XXXX

XXXX

Not caring for the sleet-like snowy terrain falling from the sky, Santana sank down against the wheel of her car in defeat.

She was covered in mud from the forest and soaked in river water from trying to search near the bank, where she saw paw prints that could have been Balto or a giant wolf of some sort. Other than paw prints and half-washed away bike tracks, the group hadn't seen any sign of Madison in the woods and decided to return to the Casper household.

Santana was devastated. Her heart was weakly throbbing in her chest at the thought of Madison vanishing from her life. It wasn't just missing a team member to perform later tonight or to help Quinn's cousin anymore. Santana knew it the second she lied to Brittany that this all hurt her too much to make sense. She knew lying to her friends was easier — safer— but Santana didn't know what to do. She felt helpless.

"We should go inside." Brittany sat beside her friend and angled her umbrella over the Cheerio. "Miss Casper said we should be out here in the rain."

"Thanks," Santana mumbled, though she was hoping the rain would hide the tears slipping from her red eyes.

Brittany watched Santana pull her knees up to her chest, resting her chin with a soft sight. She eventually leaned toward her, snuggling up to each other in the cold wind.

"Anything?" Santana's question came out a whimper. It hurt Brittany to see how pained her friend was over everything.

"No." Brittany sighed.

The two best friends were quiet for a few beats. Santana tried to close her eyes to fight off the pain in her chest. She searched her mind for any clues as to where Madison could have gone. Even little meaningless things she could think of Madison saying in Science class or songs she's sung in Glee club.

Selfishly, Santana wanted to be the one to find her. She wanted to find her first and get the chance to let everyone know she knew where Madison was. She was smart enough to crack the code that was Madison Casper. It seemed off; she was sure of that, but the feeling in her stomach encouraged her to be the one to come out on top. To be the one that would bring Madison home and hug her first. If she didn't, Santana felt like she was facing a deep sense of jealousy for those who were close or did actually find her.

It felt like an easier option to feel besides the pain of Madison's geeky glasses and their constant banter being completely gone from her life. She'll never see those freckles again or the crinkling nose. She wouldn't catch herself smiling at the endless glasses fix or goofy sneakers. Santana wouldn't get to make fun of her height, age, brains, beauty, likes, dislikes, or anything else.