3 - Sargoshi

Both of them had entered Shah Nawaz's room, after the trek to his parents quarter. This room seemed more out of a hospital than the Khan mansion- it was sterile and plain. There was a table on wheels to slide over his bed. On it, was a bag of medications and a jug of water.

Nawaz Khan was a man that despite his weak physical state, had a demanding aura. After all, was the head of the Khan family and all the familes that relied upon them.

Murtasim Khan, his son and successor, was known to be a mighty feudal lord- commanding and controlling of the city. But that personsa didnt suit him as he stood obedinatly infront of his father, head lowered snd hands clasped behind his back.

The table and medical equipment had all been moved to the side and the house staff had been told to leave. Murtasim and Meerab then were invited to take a seat infront of him.

It was a wooden fold out chair. The base and back made from a woven platic and the wooden parts stained a deep mahogancy. It seemed all the wooden furniture was stained like that.

She looked to the old man that gazed at her sweetly that it reminded her of her own father. His eyes seemed soft, not that of a feudal lord. Fatherly.

'Meerab beti, tumhara baba Waqas bohat kush hota tumhein meri bahu ki roop may thekh kar.' (My child, your father Waqas would have been so happy to see you as my daughter in law.)

She nodded in acknowledgement. It was unkown to her why her father was so desperate for a match, so desperate to join families despite the rumors of her then groom and the issues between the fanilies. But the two had been adamant.

She felt like a fish out of water. A place so far from home. Everything was new and she was somehow a married woman in her new home.

'Nikkah mein bohat barkat hoti hai. Aur mujhay yakeen hai ke mera beta poora tarha nibahey ga,' he assured, trying to settle her heart. (There is alot of blessings in nikkah and i believe that my son will fully take on this responsibility.)

He didnt have any such intentions when he was stood on her doorstep with the bands of drums behind him and half a village to take his bride. But he idolised his father, as if he said Meerab was his wife, then she was.

'Tum dono nay nasal hou, paranay baatey ko chor do. Aik nau rishta shuru karou.' (You two are from the new generation so leave old talks behind. Start a new relationship.)

Truthfully, being from the new generation made no difference to the gossip and stares of the people. She knew everytime a Malik overstepped the boundary, she would be held accountable. Everytime Murtasim disagreed with the actions of a Malik, she would feel it personally.

As though he could read her mind, she reassured, 'koy tumehin Malik hona ka ehsaas nahi dilayga. Murtasim is baat ka zamaanat deyga.' (No one will make you feel like you are a Malik, Murtasim will ensure of this.)

He was so hopeful- where did he get it from when he was so unwell- his future seemed bleak. The skin on his face was sagging, he looked more like Murtasims grandfather rather than father. The effect of the strong chemotherapy her was allegedly on.

Then he looked over to his son what was sat on the chair next to her.

'Murtasim... mard bano... aik aurat ki zimidaari utao.' (Be a man, take respibility of a woman.)

Nawaz' voice was dry and beginning to croak. Murtasim reached out to the jug pour some water which his father took a sip of.

'Jee baba, tumhara hukum sar ankhoan pe.' (Yes father, whatever you wish.)

He then motioned for the both of them to return to their own rooms. Without a word, they got up and Meerab followed Murtasim out. As soon as the stepped out of his room, Maa Begum entered and began rearranging the furniute and ensuring he had taken the correct medication.