28 - Jhalak

They intended to meet back up on an open grassy area, the car just in sight on the mud road to the side. Mariyum had already layed out a pretty blanket and had distributed some of the food inside.

They watched as Murtasim and Meerab emerged from the horizon , leisurely strolling towards the picnic blanket layed atop the grass, creasing and bunching as Rohail, Anas and Mariyum devoured sandwiches sat on top.

There was a comfortable sense of understanding between Murtasim and Meerab about the feelings that brewed when they got too close. He looked her through the rose tinted lenses of being his Khaani and from the pride that filled his chest when she had kissed him back.

Secret wishes bloomed in Murtasim's heart; for the days to past faster, for the next kiss and touch to come sooner, to finally quench a thirst which had only increased ten fold since her arrival into his home.

Anas and Rohail suppressed cheeky grins as though they knew why Murtasim had told them to take a walk- a flourishing relationship was quite evident from the glimmer found in his eyes everytime he looked at his Mrs. There was an undeniable attraction simmering that pulled him in- rendering him unable to look away for too long.

Life seemed more vivid.

'How many targets did you hit?,' Rohail asked impatiently as they took a seat. He himself was half way through voraciously eating a petite sandwich.'

'Saarey,' Meerab replied, not missing a beat. She was flushed and fake-coughed to attempt to get Murtasim to snap out of it- the sensation of his hands caressing her body freshly engraved in her memory. (All of them.)

'And how many of them did Murtasim bhai help you with,' Mariyum snickered, recalling the way that he was more than happy to teach her and had curtly dismissed the spectators.

'Saarey,' Murtasim replied for her, his gaze not faltering a moment as though she was his sole purpose of living, the answer to all his prayers. (All of them.)

She nudged her husband and he dramatically exhaled as though he had forgotten to take a break whilst entranced in the dream-like woman that was his wife. His hands were still feeling blessed.

To take the attention off her, Meerab remarked 'Sheru ko bhe saath lay aate,' as she took a a sandwich from the basket and then handed one to Murtasim too. (You should've brought sheru along )

A bite was taken out of without consideration of what that actual sandwich was- and Murtasim was too elated to even care.

A flood of realisation hit Rohail, that Sheru would have loved to running in the fields. 'Shit. Sahi baat keh rahee hai,' Rohail commented whilst scoffing his sandwich, and it disappeared instantaneously. (Yeah, she's right.)

Anas's eyebrows furrowed, 'Par Rohail tou kehra tha tum darti ho?' He asked with a playful candence, crossing his legs beneath him. (But Rohail said you are scared?)

Meerab shook her head as though his statement was utterly untrue. 'No..... ' she trailed, buying time to conjure up a lie, '....i'm just shy of dogs,' she attempted to correct her image.

Mariyum's bangles clinked from her hand movement whilst nibbling, before she half snorted and began trialing her, 'So you were hiding out of shyness?' Her sentence was asked amidst a fit of giggles at remembering the way that Meerab had cowered behind Murtasim, gripping on and steering him as a barrier.

Meerab's eye's darted to her sister in law, 'yeh mere baarey mein kaun kahaniyaan bana raha hai?' She asked, trying to investigate the gossip. (who's making these stories about me?)

Mariyum shook her head at the idea of anyone weaving tales about her- as if Murtasim would let anyone live after such blasphemy. 'Mainay window say dekha tha,' she explained in a shyer tone, admitting what her prying eyes had captured.