27 - Fitoor

Eid Mubarak ! This chapter is my eidi to you all...... 🫶

Meerab saw that his regular visits to the doctor continued and from that, his bandage had been removed. Murtasim had started spending more time in the gym again, enjoying straining his body on the daily. He had resumed office work at the Khan Mansion- busying himself in paper work, ledgers and contracts since that mornings.

This was the excuse she had used to to stand at his office door and knock with a tray in her hand, ontop of which was a Royal Albert flower teapot and dainty teacups, adorned in minuscule blue flowers. She had come to learn that blue was his favourite colour- which she could have inferred from the navy of his bedroom walls.

'Ajau.' She heard her husband call from the other side and she pushed the door forward with the swish of her hips. ( Come in.)

Inside she found her husband behind his oversized desk, resuming his previous air of being the boss, and Anas and Rohail in front. Ontop was a stack of folders, scattered loose white papers and a lighter, which she pretended not to catch.

'Salaam bhabi.' Anas turned and greeted her. 'Kaisey ho?' He asked, gazing at the teapot in his hand an smile appeared on his face at anticipation of a tea break. ( Hi sister-in-law. How are you?)

But Rohail was a simpler guy. 'Mere liye bhe chai hai?' He asked, hoping it wasn't just for Murtasim. ( Is there tea for me too?)

Meerab immediately noticed the three of them in western wear and the lights went of in her head- and she nodded to Rohail's question- it was enough for 3 - the same number of teacups on her tray.

'Main teek hou,' rolled off her tongue whilst gazing at her husband, as though there was no Anas or Rohail in the room. ( I'm fine.)

She stepped up-to his desk and gently placed the tray ontop of his papers, taking in the way the that morning light danced upon his hair, illuminating the shades of warm brown making up the ebony. 'Aap kay liye.' She announced as she placed it before her husband, even though it hadent been poured yet. ( For you.)

'Shukria Meerab.' Murtasim replied, purposefully not inviting her to sit. They were on good terms but he had vowed to separate his personal and work life. ( Thanks Meerab.)

'Main daal dou?' She asked, her voice was light like a feather, grazing and tickling his senses with her femanine touch. She gently soothed the worries of which his day comprised of. ( Shall i pour it?)

Murtasim nodded, watching her delicate fingers pour the karak tea into the teacup and saucer. She had learnt her lesson- no PG Tips for him.

Meerab handed it to him first by holding it from the saucer, purposefully ensuring that her hand grazed his for a second longer than necessary. The electric sparked up her arm and his too, igniting a flame between them.

Then she poured it for Anas and Rohail too, as an after thought. 'Behtjau yaar.' Anas urged whilst guesturing the seat next to his. ( Sit bro.)

Meerab took it, her eyes wandering leisurley over the scribles of the papers on the desk. That was the first time that she had noticed how messy her husband's hand writing was. She immeditlay picked up a paper that had jotted a couple figures down. 'Tumne yeh likha hai?' Her eyes squitning to try to decipher the words- it consisted of haphazard lines merging into one another- she wondered if it was urdu or english. ( Did you write this?)

Murtasim nodded whilst taking a sip. 'Haan. Aisay kyun pooch rahee hou?' The drink was enchantingly delicious, probably from the hands that hand devoted their time to make it for him.

A single eyebrows raised of Meerab's. He was usually so meticulous but this looked like the spewing of a 5 year old- it was barley legible. But she needed to stay in his good book. She neutralised her expression and dismissed it. 'Waisay he. I just couldnt make out the words, is all.' She said in a defensive tone, trying to fiend nonchalance. ( Just.)