32 - Shanakht

Smut half way through........

Everyone's head spun at the sound of Rohail's impending footsteps and he turned the corner to be viewed by 4 females, but his gaze stopped on one and his features hardened in surprise. 'Saba?' He mumbled out loud by mistake and then he stalled, realising his surroundings. The first step was a stumble as he moved in slow motion to hand over the bag to Meerab, conscious of Ma Begum's dilated eyes at him uttering the name. (Saba?)

Saba fiended deafness as she poured the water into a glass and passed it to Meerab, waiting as she hauled herself up against the headboard.

The way he loitered was obvious without any another males company and was soon shoed away, and Maa Begum left to order some refreshments for the guests.

Meerab turned to Saba and her features were dead serious when she asked, 'Tum Rohail ko jaanti hou?' (Do you know Rohail?)

'Kya?' Saba asked in a exhale, pretending to be  innocent, as though the name didn't even ring a bell for her. (What?)

Twice wasn't a coincidence for Meerab, it was the beginning of a pattern. Nor did she miss the surprise in Rohail's features, as though he has walked into a different room- his two world colliding at seeing Saba in the Khan house, completely caught off guard. 'Usne tumhara naam kaha tha,' Meerab reiterated, a underlying edge of desperation at unveiling the ploy which had been dwelling under their noses. (He said your name.)

'Mainay tou nahi sunna,' Saba quipped, scratching her head as she looked away, as though it would cause the topic to disappear. ( I didn't hear.)

It was entirely unconvincing. 'Tum Mir ko nahi jaante? Tumhara bhai kya karega agar ussey tumpar koy shak hua tou?' Meerab croaked, her throat achy and red raw from the continuous sneezes, and nasal drip. (Do you not know your Mir? What will he do if he suspects something between you two?)

'Kya hua Meerab? Aisay unchi awaaz mei matt bolo, pehle he tabiyat kharaab hai,' her mother chided, clearly more concerned for her ill health than Saba's arrangement with the careless man. (What is it Meerab? Why are you stressing your self out, talking so loudly. You're already ill.)

'Mama isko kaho, kay Rohail say durr rahe,' Meerab ordered in an assertive tone, one which they were unaccustomed too. For them, she was just Meerab, without the status that Murtasim had bestowed upon her- she was beginning to fill out her role, ordering and giving her opinion without being asked to. (Mama tell her to stay away from Rohail.)

Saba let out an exaggerated sigh of annoyance at being pressed on the issue. 'Main nahi jaanti!' Saba squealed and Meerab dropped it, knowing her mother was prying, sharp as an eagle. (I don't know him.)

Thankfully she dismissed herself, pushing her self off the seat and announcing, 'Main Shah Nawaz ko dekh kay aatey houn.' (I'll go see Shah Nawaz, and get an update on his health.)

As soon as she left, the girl's necks snapped back to each other, in a battle of proving the other wrong.

'Tum meri Khaani nahi hou, sirf meri Meerab baji hou,' Saba corrected, trying to put Meerab in her place, sass rising without Nazia's presence. (You're not my Khaani, only my elder sister.)

'Baji ki hi baat maan lo,' Meerab practically begged. (Listen to your sister's advice then.)

If Meerab was naive, Saba was even worse- only nurtured in the 4 walls of their house, and romance literature. 'Kyun, Rohail bura hai? Badtameez hai? Jagarta hai?,' Saba interrogated with genuine curiosity and Meerab tried very hard not to roll her eyes at being right. (Why, is Rohail bad? Is he manner less? Does he have anger issues?)

'Nahi, bura nahi hai,' Meerab admitted, he was friendly and made light humor. Murtasim had a soft spot for him, despite all his mess-ups, like a little brother. He went out of his was to rectify mistakes, shouldering his burden to shade his brothers. (No, he's not bad.)