23 - Khidmat

As soon as they turned into their own driveway, an incessant barking began. A large shaggy brown followed the car till it parked infront of the house's entertance.

The sun was beginning it's descent and the evening air had cooled slightly.

Meerab's heartbreat picked up a little at the racket- she wasent accustomed to dogs in the house. An incident in her childhood had meant she tended to stay away from dogs. Her fear only exacerbated by how large and excited it was.

Murtasim got out, kneeling slighlty to greet it and tickle its back. 'Kaisay ho Sheru?' ( How are you Sharu?) He seemed much more enthusiastic than he was in the car- this appeared to be a Murtasim not that's afflicted with the threat of his izzat being tarnished. 'Did you miss me?' Murtasim looked at him-waiting for a reply. A loud, ear screeching bark- meaning yes.

Meerab scooted over the leather seats and out the car, behind him - using her husband as a human shield to stay out of the dog's view as it jumped and wagged its tail at its owners.

'Musjsay salaam nahi kareyga Sheru?' ( Won't you greet me Sheru?) Rohail asked. Then the dog jumped up to him too. He laughed as he stroked it, 'Sheru, tum tou bhabi ko bhe nahi mila abhi.'

At that cue, Sheru turned and ran towards Meerab.

Meerab ducked behind Murtasim as though the dog haden't already seen her.

A laught escpaed Rohail at the sight. 'Yaar kutha hai, jangli rich tou nahi.' ( Bro, its a dog not a wild bear.)

Murtasim sensed his wife was scared. Despite their differences, he reassured, 'He's friendly.'

She could bloody see that. But the problem is that she didn't want to be friendly.

She heart him panting and she felt getting closer. Her hands came to pull as the fabric of Murtasim's kameez to steer him between them and a little squeel left her. 'Please.' She pleaded for him to intercede.

Then Murtasim tried to to calm Sheru. 'Beht Sheru!' (Sit Sheru.) He got ahold of the dog's collar and restricted him little. 'Jau andhar.' ( Go inside.) He said to his wife and she speed walked in.

She had never listened so fast.

The dog was left outside and the three of them began making their way to Shah Nawaz's room.

'Kuthayon say darthi ho?' ( Are you scared of dogs?) Murtasim tried to read her body language. She was still a little flustered- partially still in fight or flight mode.

Meerabs eyebrows furrowed slightly at his statement- a look of i don't know what you're talking about. 'No. Main kissi sey bhe nahi darti,' she replied, unconvincingly. (No, I'm not scared of anything.) As though she hadent hidden behind him and pleaded to save her from the sniffing of the family dog.

He rolled his eyes. Stubborn.

They made their way in through, past the grand entrance and they strolled into Shah Nawaz's room.

Meerab anticipated a stern telling off from Shah Nawaz. She anticipated that perhaps Maa Begum's dislike towards her would have increased after hearing about her daughter-in-laws presence at the panchaayat. By putting their brother's izzat at stake, Haya and Mariyum had even more reason to dislike her.

But the scene was more somber as they entered. Shah Nawaz was watching the news. He wae wearing off white shalwar kameez, with his legs outstretched on the bed. His cheeks hollowed from the weightloss and he had a greyish tinge to his skin from the concoctions of medicines he had been taking.

'Baba?' Murtasim called out to gain his attention and a prideful smile appeared on Shah Nawaz's face.

'Aah gaya mera beta?' He called, inviting them in. ( Has my son come?)