34 - Mehfooz

Smut half way through

When Meerab and her husband reached Nano's house, they were greeted in a much higher regard than when they left. There was an abundance of kisses and a plethora of hugs, as though it was a grand reunion, and it seemed that Nano missed her grand-daughter in law too. Promptly, Murtasim was whisked away to the men's quarter- his loyal Sheru following behind him.

That left her to stroll into grand building by herself, her arm supporting Nano, not that she really needed it. Whilst seated, Nano admired her as though just her presence was precious, their Khaani. 'Tum tou aayi bhe nahi mujhay milne?,' Nano asked in a jest that more of a question, knowing that she would only come with Murtaism. (Why didn't you even come to meet me?)

Meerab settled, just the slightest bit uncomfortable from the tough woven base of the chaarpai. 'Murtasim tou kehra tha kay ghar pe raho, baba kay saath,' Meerab explained whilst glancing over Zara who bought over refreshments towards Nano and Meerab that were perched in the courtyard. 'Par baba nay kaha tha kay main bhe saath chalay jaun,' she added, completing her story. (Murtasim was saying to stay with Baba. It was him who said to come here.)

Meerab guessed that Nano would have supported her, but she only gave a rueful smile at the man's mention. 'Shah Nawaz kay saath rehna bhe boori baat nahi the bete,' she admitted whilst stoking over her hair. 'Jahan tumhari marzi hai bete, hum tou tummay dekh kar kush hai,' she explained. (There was no issue in staying with Shahnawaz as well. But it's your wish, we're just happy to see you dear.)

'Jahan iska Murtasim hai, wahan he ho gi,' Zara quipped, handing her a glass of lemonade. (She is wherever her Murtasim is.)

'Murtasim ka hukum chalta hai kay main uske peechay peechay chalou,' Meerab shared, thinking back to how she had been dwindled in the car. The brisk breeze was pleasant, the dupatta over her head coming to rest on her shoulders now. (I don't have any say in this, it's Murtasim's order to go wherever he goes.)

'Par khudke shohar kay peeche rehna tou achi baat hai. Woh tou aik mehfooz jagah hoti hai,' Nano advised in an endearingly soft tone, and Meerab figured that she was reminiscing about her own husband, and sure enough- Nano was gazing at her hand, at the gifted ring. (But it is a good thing to be behind your husband. It's a safe place.)

'Nano, aap rakh lou,' she urged, trying to return the gift- remebering how reluctant Murtasim had been on her recieving it. (Nano, please take this back.) Without pause she heard....

'Nahi,' Nano shut her down instantly. 'Murtasim mujay bohat aziz hai, aur uski biwi bhi. Issi liye dee thee, tou tumhari hai ab,' Nano corrected whilst her hand came over Meerab's, sandwiching over the ring on her lap. (No. Murtasim is very precious to me, and his wife as well. That's why I gave it to you, so keep it.'

Meerab didn't miss the way Zara tensed slightly, and it seemed there was obvious favouritism amongst her grandson's, but still she handed the glass over, and Meerab took a swig, feeling particularly parched after her failed attempt at negociating with her husband.

'Par Murtasim itna kush tou nahi lag raha tha,' Zara suggested, taking the seat opposite Meerab, it was a try at instigating. (But he didn't look happy.)

'Pata nahi....' Meerab trailed, she didn't know what his stress had been about as he hadn't been in a sharing mood. All she had heard was from the conversation between Murtasim and Shah Nawaz, and that seemed coded in itself. 'Kehra tha kay tafteesh karni thi, gaon mei,' she recalled but the words held no meaning. (I don't know.... He was talking about making an inquiry in village.)

Both of the older ladies feigned obliviousness, and instead commented on lighter topics- such as her pretty hair and dress, and her glowing skin. Of course, there was the impending question which they asked whilst huddling in. 'Koy kush kabri nahi hai?,' Nano asked, a smile stretching on her face, excitement glinting in her eyes at the prospect.