62 - Shatranj

Mariyum realised what she had done, toppling the domino that exposed Haya, but she decided in that moment to not acquiesce.

Even the atmosphere in dining room became bitter with hazy suspense, barely able to gulp at the idea that the culprit to all their issues was one of their own trusted members.

''Hum paanch ke alava kisi ko nhi pata tha Rohail baare mein. Maine kissi ko nahi bataya. Aur bhai, aapne bhi nahi bataya. Meerab ne bhi nhi, na hi Anas ne...'' she trailed, every word fuelled on as a woman hurt from the injuries her husband had sustained. Now she had a clear vision of who caused the rumours to transpire - hurting her home and house. (Brother, only the 5 of us knew about what Rohail did. I didn't tell anyone, nor you, Meerab or Anas.)

''Mariyum, Chup,'' Haya's sharp snap punctuated the air, drawing further attention. Her pulse violently raced at being under scrutiny, eclipsing her ability to perform the act of innocence like the usual penchant. (Quiet.)

Mariyum looked to Anas for one last sign. The colour was still lacking on his face, the soft eyes carried the burden of being caught in deceit.

Nor did Anas hint at any remorse either, inadvertently egging her on to blow the entire thing wide open. There was a silent agreement between the pair, choosing each other, choosing loyalty.

The accusation was formulated into coherent words. In the same manner, Mariyum sat poised, controlled breathing as she was about yo expose the traitor hiding within thrm. ''Phir bas aik insaan rah gaya hai jisne teeli lagayi, aur woh hai Haya,'' Mariyum explained in a voice that was impassive, sharing her findings with the entire breakfast table. Irrevocably, she had ventured into a zone of no return, pointing a finger that lead to only one girl that set out the entire horror show. (Then there is one remaining person to set fire to the match, and that is Haya.)

Haya's name hung in the air, awkward and guilty.

''Mariyum, are you sure?'' Meerab warily asked, trying to halt the situation from catalysing incorrectly ; the ramifications would be dire if it was true, becoming a wretched traitor.

An exhausted glance passed over to her husband's weakness. It was visible in the drop of his usually rod-straight shoulder; his state directly reflected on her heart. It was all the motivation she needed. ''Yakeen nahi aa raha to Feena se poocholo,'' Mariyum suggested in a hurry.(If you don't believe me, ask Feena.)

The hefty statement made everyones head spin to the woman that stood against the wall. Feena, a plain black shawl loosely covering her petite frame, suddenly shrouded in guilt, her tongue fumbling for an excuse.

Haya sank in her seat, outed and the cause of all their issues, counting every moment to be her last - it felt like a ticking time bomb had been placed in her lap.

''Feena, bolo,'' Murtasim commanded in an tone that was deeply assertive and formidable, halting everyone's breakfast mid-bite. (Feena, speak.)

The cutlery of the dining table was dropped with a sudden clank.

''Main, Khan Sahab, main....'' Feena's voice began to stutter with each syllable, letters unable to form i to viable words at being under the unescapable spotlight. (Khan Sahab, I...)

''Feena,'' Maa Begum's voice rang red in warning, her name sharply edged potent a threat.

''Jee?'' It was an obedient squeak.

The scene changed entirely, it was woman to woman.

A single eyebrow arched when Maa Begum posed the simply question that had everyone on the edge of their chair, ''Haya ke jhoot ko tumne phelaya tha?'' (Did you spread Haya's lies?)