26 - Natejah

Then Meerab heard a knock on her living room door. It was the first time that the door had ever been knocked on since she had been residing there. It was almost startling to hear the tap of knuckles against hardwood, reverberating through the walls of the room.

She got up immediately from her mothers feet, pushed the hair out of her face and fixed her posture before going to open the door. the handle down, she was met by Murtasim, and within one glimpse, the first words that left him mouth were, 'tum roh rahee the?' His voice was a decible lower than usual, softer as thought he could coax the truth out of her. ( Are you trying?)

Meerab shook her head instantaneously, pretending to be confused at his assumption. 'No,' no she muttered, sniffling.

The damp on her cheeks and the pink irritation of her eyes from crying spoke to the contrary, despite the smile she had plastered on her face at the sight of him. There was a rosy hue on her face, hinting that she was just walked out of something emotionally heavy. The way her eyes didn't quite light up like earlier in the day gave a sense of wistfulness which instantly caused a fire to ignite in his chest. With a little more vigour he asked, 'Kisi ne tumein kuch kaha hai?' ( Has someone said something to you?)

The idea of her being sad was unbearable to him, tugging a corner of his heart which in turn caused his right hand to rise to tuck the hair behind her and for his open palm to rest at the side of her head in the most tender way. He almost forgot that her mother was seated in that room too, until Meerab stepped back to let him in.

'Nahi, kushi kay aansou hai, mama say mil kar.' She informed him, knowing that not everything could be shared with him. He was incessantly possessive, wether it was an intrinsic trait or if had been nurtured into him, that she wasn't quite aware of. ( No, they're happy tears from meeting mama.)

But there was a part of him that doubted the trigger of the tears that had trailed her soft cheeks. It was only a matter of time.

Murtasim knew her mother, Nazia was currently visiting as he himself had arranged the meeting, and from the whispers as he walked through the corridoors enroute to his quarter. But the thought had slipped his mind as she came into view, clouding his memory as the idea was replaced by the conotation of his wife being unwelcome in his home. Her home, now.

Nazia and Murtasim exchanged salaams as he entered his own living room. 'Kaisey hou Nazia chachi?' He addressed her as chachi for the first time, it seemed fitting as his and Meerab's fathers were good friends, and the entire reason for everything that had ensued. ( How are you Nazia aunty?)

'Main teek hou. Tum kaisey hou? Aur tumhare baba?' Nazia asked curtly, her mind instantly jumping to Shah Nawaz, as his declining health was the talk of the town. ( I'm fine. How are you and your father?)

'Jee, dono teek.' ( We're both good.) Murtasim brushed off as he sank into the seat opposite. Then he gazed up to his wife standing awkwardly, still grappling with all the new informatiton from her mother that Murtasim was unaware of. 'Karri kyun ho?' ( Why are you standing?) He asked, gazing her form in that pretty lilac dress that he had chosen for her. 'Yahan au,' he ordered softly, gesturing to the seat next to him. ( Come here.)

Her mind went blank and then she muttered, 'Main chai laykar aate houn.' She had forgotten all about her hosting skills, nor had anyone come to knock on her door to offer. ( I'll go fetch the tea.)

'Nahi, mai keh kar aaya hou. Aaj Nazia chachi humaray saath dinner kareygi.' Murtasim informed the 2 women of his pre-arranged plans, enlightening them of his scheme to amalgamate her into his family. After all, Nazia was his Meerab's mother. ( I've already told them. This evening, Nazia aunty will have dinner with us.)