15 - Ikhtalaaf

Meerab couldnt seem to concentrate on his words as as a sense of restlessness over took her. A revelation which had completely changed her perspective on the relationship that they had. 'Nano ke ghar challay?' (Shall we go to Nano's house?)

Murtasim nodded at her and led the way back to the motor bike.

This time Meerab got hold of the helmet and handed it to him- its the least she could do for him. 'Tum pehnlo, kyun kay tum aagay behto gay.' ( You wear it, because you're going to sit at the front.)

Murtasim made a mental note to buy another helmet, just for her.

His hand came to the helmet to reject her offer. 'Shayad tumne mujjay pehchaana nahi. Meri ghairat mujhay iss cheez ki ijaazat nahi deyti.' ( Perhaps you havent understood me. My pride doesn't allow me to do this.)

'Aisay ghairat ka kya faida, ja khud ka khayal na rahai?' She pulled it back in, the cool plastic resting against her stomach. ( Whats the point of such pride, where you dont care for your self?)

He took his seat on the motor bike then. 'Mera khayal rakhnay kay liye Allah hai. Tum pehnlo, mere liye itna he kaafi hai.' ( God is enough to take care of me. You wear it, thats enough for me.)

She didn't need to argue with that. How else could he have manage all his responsibilities without a hint of eye bags? Was his conviction in god really that strong? Only then she contempleted the week that he had experianced. To have so much sabr when his father's health was deteriorating, his wife was at the other side of the world and the enemy had been committing violence on his land.

How could he have waited so patiently, for so long, without complaint?

She placed the helmet on her head on her head and took her position- just as he had guided her before.

He turned his head to check on her before setting off. The long edge of scarf dangling off- he thought it might get caught in the wheel. He bunched it and shoved it in the gap between her tummy and his back and then started reversing. 'Challay?' (Shall we go?)

'Challo,' she said, taking in the curls at his nape. They looked so soft and boyish compared to the rest of him. ( Let's go.)

They drove back to Nano's house without a word.

She day, she had left a piece of herself behind in that field.

————————————————

Meerab and Murtasim ate dinner with the rest of the family. Nano was seated at the head with Zara and Meerab one side, Murtasim on the other side.

It seemed that there was a no-business rule as the men sat and enjoyed their food without interrupting Zara's rant about her tailor- something about the neckline being off and that the incorrect lacing applied, contrary to her instruction. Apparently she planned to gift the suit to Meerab on her walimah and needed it sewn as a matter of urgency.

Meerab didnt bother enquiring when that event would take place- when the rest of her life had been arranged without her, then why stress herself with this.

A rich meaty tomatoey curry had been prepared and placed before them. Sometimes Nano refilled her water and sometimes Murtasim placed another roti in her plate.

Nano complained about Amir and Rohail's tardiness, completley missing dinner. Murtasim didnt speak up to justify their absence at the dinner table but Meerab sensed that he knew what they were up to.

The delay in Rohail coming home also gave Murtasim some time to calm down after the events of the day.

As they retired to the courtyard for the evening's cool breeze, their tea was prepared by their maid- Zainab. The open sky overhead was darkening and the courtyards lights had been turned on- giving a yellowish glow. She noted there was an array of small tapestries on the wall space between the doors, some with Arabic calligraphy and others with woven floral patterns.