9 - Rafaakat

The table between them is where their dinner had been arranged. Murtasim took hold of the serving spoon and shovelled some rice into her plate for her.

It was a creamy plate with flowers swirling into each other depicted around the circumference. A pile of rice and meat in the centre. She thought he was finished. But then he bought the serving spoon full of rice to her plate again. But just before he could tip it, she said, 'Thats enough.'

He froze with the spoon in the air and looked up at her. 'Bas itna khau ge?' ( You're only going to eat this much ?) He seemed offended almost. He was trying to make her feel welcome but it seemed it wasent working. It was probably less than a quarter serving of what he intended to eat.

She nodded and reaffirmed that, 'Itna kaafi hai.' ( This is enough.)

But then he tipped that spoon over into her plate anyways. 'Chaavel ke chaar daaney sey kissi ka pait nahi bharta.' ( No ones tummy can be filled with only 4 grains of rice.)

'Thats too much Murtasim.' She told him. So much for respecting her wishes when he didn't listen to her orders.

She watched him as he did this act. He was taking control of the situaition but she noted that she didnt feel like he was controlling her, rather softening the blow of the new enviroment. New people. A different people that had a thinly vieled contempt for her.

She questioned wether a feudal lord could be so sensitive and caring for food. Then she told herself he was just acting on his fathers instruction of taking responsibility.

'I'm sure you can find the space.'

Then her gaze met him and she questioned with raised eyebrows. 'Tum mujhe moti bula raha hou?' ( Are you calling me fat?) There was a threatening air surrounding her.

Shit - he realised that had entered dangerous territory with his wife on their second day of marriage. There we're exactly friends, but he didnt want to be enemies.  He wasen't afraid of the girl but he thought about the answer he would give. He came to the conclusion that there was only one correct answer and he immediately and wholeheartedly said, 'No.'

He took the opportunity to scan her body and figure out the correct way to proceed from there. He took in the plumpness of her cheek and her soft wrists. The curve of her kameez against her stomach and over her hip- thought whatever her weight was- it was right. 'It's nice.' Jaisa bhe hai- acha hai he thought to himself. ( How ever much it is, its nice.)

A flash of heat ran through her as took the liberty to check her out- his eyes running up and down. She huffed at his audacity and told him straight, 'I'll eat how much i feel like.' Her question was only related to his remark and not his opinion- there was no need to be so free with him.

He was leaned forward slightly, towards the table as he reached for the serving bowl for his own food now. He should have restained his tounge there, but it continued on it's own accord. 'But rice is your favourite... isn't it?'

She did love rice - but then she realised that she had not told him that in the last day she had spent with him. 'How do you know that?'

He began plating his own food, rice and then the salad in a way to avoid her gaze. He squirmed around the question. 'Zaahir hai. ( Obviously.) Everyone loves rice,' he said nonchalantly.

Meerab eyed him suspiciously, not believing him after his use of the word favourite. He stated it as though the preference was specific to her.

'Tumko pooch kar hi Nano ne banwaye hoge.' He added, to try justify his statement. ( Nano must have asked you before ordering for rice to be made.)