51 - Subha

Murtasim alerted the rest of the house about Shah Nawaz's passing after composing himself. It was past fajr, the sky coloured in a spectacular shade of a dusky orange. The vast abyss was speckled in languid clouds and faint streaks of crimson. It was a melancholic end, the earth feeling lighter in his absence.

Mariyum clung to her mother to console he  and a maid was told to inform Meerab in the morning as Murtasim was pulled away without a second to process the loss. The whirlwird wrecked their house that morning, distrupting peace, heart beats and the quiet which had begun to linger. There was a palpable void which had been left in the house, a cavity what would remain fulfilled, the role of a father being irreplaceable.

The men arranged for a funeral fitting for his greatness- having been known for his benevolent and astute nature. In the meanwhile, the women sat in mourning in the living room that has been transformed into a seating area to accommodate many more people. The guests prayed over rosary beads and recited scriptures to soothe their grief-stricken hearts.

The air saturated in murmurations, beseeching for forgiveness and heaven for their beloved late Khan. However, they fought with whisperes, talking of bad luck that had knocked on their door since the arrival of their new daughter-in-law. Remarks to the effect of, ''bahu aane pe he ghum aaye hai ghar pe.'' ''Baraat ke pehle tou keh rahhe the ke Khan ke tabiyet mei improvement the,'' and, ''Malikoan ke saath he mushkilaat aate hai.'' They huddled together, yet their voice sharp, cutting through the soft prayers, laced in a bitteress at the Khaani being an outsider. (The sadness came along with the daughter in law. They said his state was better on the wedding. Problems and Maliks are sinonomous.)

It became unbearable, causing Nano's single eyebrow lifted until their mouths instantly locked shut, fearing her wrath on being caught out. ''Yahan afsos karne aaye hou, ya taane? Nikalo yahan se,'' she prompty ordered, not caring for such guests. After all, Salma was her daughter, and Meerab was her favourite too, appreciating her empathetic streak and the flair of being strong willed - a mirror to Murtasim. (Are you here to gossip or give condolences? Get out. )

On their leaving, Nano pat Meerab's back to keep her spirit positive, all being heart broken. Meerab pulled the slippy white shawl over her head and focused on the keeping strong, searching for strength to conquer this hurdle. From spending time together in the goan, Nano appreciated that Meerab had lost a second father that morning, the sadnress causing her throat to convuslse, yet she didn't dare to shed a single tear infront of the watchful eyes of their guests, not wanting to show weakness as Murtasim's wife.

Maa Begum barley looked like herself. Mariyum and Haya sat at either side to occasionally check that the new widow was okay- blank behind the eyes, heart half paralysed from the wreched reality that she faced. But still, Maa Begum had a face to keep up despite the theft of her husband being gone. She was pale after facing the worst news of her life. There was no pearly necklace gracing her neck today, or lipstick patted into her lips, or blusher staining her face. She has been stripped of colour, of pride of a throne - only her son for reassurance.

It felt like the entire village had fallen asleep at the news, grappling with the idea was Shah Nawaz was gone. The outside space of the Hyderbad haveli filled up too, suffocatingly so.

A couple of the prestigious Malik women walked into the room, warmly hugging Maa Begum and Meerab in turn. ''Afsos hui sunke,'' they said as their chin's rest over the shoulder.  (Our condolences for your grief.)

After that, Meerab attended to her mother and Saba, pulling them away to her private living quarter's living room with hurried steps.

As soon as they passed the Nazia engulfed her daughter in a tight embrance, wrapping her arms around as if to function like a spine - this is where Meerab finally cracked into two pieces from the heartache. Her body shuddered as the grief was finally allowed to inundate her, her lungs feeling like they were drowning, gasping for breath through the endless sobs.