66 - Dharkan - London II

Ahsan stood directly infront of the table, pausing a second as if to unveil a grand surprise

Ahsan stood directly infront of the table, pausing a second as if to unveil a grand surprise. ''Tumne kaha ke tumhare biwi aa rahe hai tou maine socha mei bhi aik larki ley au,'' Ahsan described with an excited flair, as if a conspired plan burgeoned on opening up. He had short clipped hair, like Murtasim's hair but thicker with less flow. (You said that you were bringing your wife so I thought I should invite a girl too.)

Murtasim, unprepared for the roller coaster to take a steep dip, had a confused look on his face.

Controlled, Ahsan moved, revealing the girl hidden behind him. ''I thought it could be a reunion,'' he narrated.

Swans, just like that had seen in Hyde park, yet the feather painted in ornate grey, stood reaching the ceiling around them. Enthralled with the rich decoration, Meerab didn't even realise when Murtasim paused, gulping as he saw a haunting face that he had almost forgotten about.

The Univeristy friends met up again — Ahsan, chuckling boisterously, unfortunately was oblivious to some of the shared history.

The new girl was tounge tied for second, not realising that the friend that Ahsan bought her to meet was in fact Murtasim. Her breaths shallowed, shock tranversing through her veins at coming face to face after years.

Meerab finally glance to the same direction and despite never meeting the girl, recognised her within a single glimpse. She caught ahold of the the pale skin and deep eyes eyes and big curls; the look mirrored her own.

Ahsan grinned, showing off his guest as if he had performed a worthy magic trick. ''Yehlo, Aliya se bhe salaam karro. Mere taraf se surprise hai ye.'' The white shirt stood out amongst the dimly lit room, yet the act felt anything but angelic. (Say hi to Aliya too. She's a surprise from me.)

Meerab's gaze dart to the girl immediately as she spoke to Murtasim, a familiarity brewing in the diminishing space between them. She felt Murtasim palpably tense with guilt. Internally, Meerab burned; it was a mild smouldering sort of heat at being unable to change the past, wanting to keep Murtasim all to her self as she deserved.

''Murtasim?'' Aliya snapped back into reality, ruffling her hair after taking a breath. ''Wow, long time?'' She got up, a slinky midi black dress flowing down her lithe frame when she rose with grace to hug him, moving as if it were second nature.

But Murtasim held back, stiffness gripping his build.

The tension was thick and grating.

The look they gave each other was enough to hint that it was the same 'Aliya' that Rohail had mentioned in the aangan, earning him a slap from his baba, Amir.

Murtasim slowed as if painfully uncomfortable and needed to make amends, as if he had seen a ghost, lowering his gaze after realising what he had mistakenly entered into. ''Salaam, Aliya. Yeh meri biwi hai. Meerab, my better half.'' (Hi, Aliya. This is my wife.)