21 - Suroor

Maa Begum and Mariyum had returned home with their driver to focus their attention on sickly Shah Nawaz and on managing their own household.

Murtasim sat on the open section of the houses second storey, under the shade of the veranda and next to one of Nano's flower pots. It wasent like him to lounge around but the doctor had ordered for him to rest. So Anas and Rohail gone out to manage the work and he planned formally address the panchayat in person, this afternoon. He was checking through some of his ledgers for the time being as this was work that could be done sitting.

Meerab sat beside him, reading one of her law books that she had ordered Anas to obtain from Karachi- she was brushing up on their local law.

They were sat in a peaceful silence.

He tried not to roll his eyes at her incessant love for reading and expanding her bredth of knowledge- he could apprecaite the concept of bettering oneself but he had begun to get tired of it actually being practised.

It was past noon and Meerab decided that she needed a tea break. She closed her book to ask him if he would like some. His ears perked up at the offer. 'Tum banau gey?' ( Are you going to make it?) It would be the first time that he would be drinking tea made by his wife.

She nodded.

'Chai banani aatey hai tumein?' ( Do you know how to ?) He questioned hesitantly.

'Kaisay sa sawaal kar rahee hou? ( What sort of a question is that?) She was offended at his question- he underestimated her ability. 'Lagta tumahre sar ko zyada he chot lag gay hai.' ( I think you hit your head a little too hard.) The mark on his forhead had scabbed iver, leaving only a thin purple line.

She arranged her baby pink scarf on her shoulders and got up to saunter down stairs to begin making it.
In the kitchen, she found that little boy that had helped with her suitcase. 'Yahan kya kar rahee hou Haider?' ( What are you doing here Haider?)

'Maasi ne menu sabziyan lehn behjyasi. Hunnay aayan.' ( Zara aunty sent me to buy some vegetables. Ive just returned.)

Meerab then noticed the blue carrier bags ontop of the counter and nodded- it looked like. He was stood by their water dispenser, filling his cup when he said, 'Boht garmi hai baar.' ( It's so hot outside.)

'Woh tou hai.' ( It is.) She has seen the boy running like the wind. The red stone bricks helped keep the inside of the home cooler and the veranda allowed the shade to provide some relief too. Meerab turned to the freezer and took a couple ice cubes for him. 'Yeh bhe leylo.' ( Have some.)

Haider held out his cup forward and they plopped in. He swirled it, the noise of the ice against the steel clinked and he grinned.

'Tum school nahi gae aaj?' She tried to make conversation. (You didnt go school today?.)

'Khaani Ji, aaj chutti ah. Kal gayasi.' ( Khaani madam, there's no school today. I went yesterday though.) He took a gulp of the beverage and sighed as his body cooled.

She nodded. It was the weekend- time was getting away from her without a strict schedule of classes and outings. 'Beht kay peelou Haider.' ( Sit sit and drink it.) Meerab told him as she began heating the water in a sauce pan.

'Ji.' ( Ok.) He nodded and sat down on the kitchen island's stool. 'Khaan Saab kidan?' ( How is Khan Saab?) He peered over the glass to ask.

'Teek hai. Upar behta hua hai.' ( Hes fine. He's sat upstairs.) Meerab poured the bubbling water it into the tea pot and added some tea leaves, allowing it to brew for a couple minutes. 'Tumhara baba kaisay?' ( How's you're baba?)

'Shukr hai, teek hai baba.' ( Thanks to god, he's fine.) He brushed off less seriously. He was no nonchalant as though getting shot was a small thing.

'Tummay darr nahi laga?' She questioned.