4 - Ranjish

His eyes switched back to Meerab as soon as his friends left. He walked a step closer and asked 'What did he say?'

Meerab looked him up and down, he appeared to be genuinley curious. They must have a serious hold on him to wander into his bedroom and cause him this much stress.

She had no need to be truthful considering he had basically abducted her into becoming his bride, 'He said to be gentle with you tonight, because you're a virgin.'

He seemed abit confused at the statement but wasent preared to rebutt it. He nodded weakly, 'Haan, aisay he hai.' ( Yeah that's how it is )

Neither of them believed him.

——————————————-

There was no mighty wall between them on the bed.

She slept in surprising peace considering the bed she lay in was not her own- perhaps in was due to the mental exhaustion of the day. Thankfully, Murtasims quarter had its own laundry closet and he hadent hesitated to get another blanket for himself.

Neither one was particularly unnerved for the other. They were here to put on a show for the sickly head of the Khan family- her now father in law. They had no intention to progress their relationship- there was a mutual appreciation for the others accomplishments, but that was where it ended.

But Meerab felt the awkwardness of her presence in the home, around the other family members and staff. But she certianley felt the distaste for her was covered behind a veil whenever Shah Nawaz or Murtasim accompanied her.

She sat on the breakfast table, along with all the family members, whilst breakfast was being serving in the finest crockery. It was a show of their wealth to Meerab, as much as a demonstration of their happiness and acceptance of their pairing, to Shah Nawaz.

Crockery of engraved silver, filled with a meat and lentil stew and a chickpea stew were placed before them. Then another basket of fried bread and a sweet semolina pudding too.

It wasent their usual style, this was particularly heavy foods and they were accustomed to a lighter breakfast. Maa Begum picked up on this and enquired, 'Yeh khana kahan say aaya hai?' She enquired. (Where did this food come from?)

'Malik-oun say aaya hai.' ( It had come from the Maliks) One of their staff memebers informed.

Meerab eyed the whole tables reaction. There was stillness- No staff memeber had yet served the food into their plates.

Had her mother really sent over the after wedding breakfast- like as it tradition? Nothing else happened according to tradition so why this?

Shah Nawaz coughed and looked over to Murtasim. As thought a puppet had lifted his hands, he reached out and served some haleem and choley into a bowl for his bride, and them for himself.

On that cue, Maa Begum served her husbands food too- he was only a lighter diet of porridge.

When no staff memebr came forward to serve the rest of them, Murtasim turned back abruptly and asked, 'Kissi ka intezaar mein karey hou?' ( Are you waiting for someone?)

There was no need for answer. Their hesitation to serving the food only related to where it had come from. But they were not ones to object to his orders, so the women rushed forward and did as they were meant to.

Mariyum and Haya only allowed them to serve the smallest of portions. They only eat a few mouthfuls before stating that they had little appetite for such food, and then left the table.

'Nashte ke baad, Meerab uski maa ke ghar jaye ge.' ( After breakfast, Meerab will visit her mother.) Murtasim spoke out and announed it to his father. He didn't need his permission, in fact this is exactly what his father wanted to hear.