6 - Jhoot

Murtasim felt the burden of her words. As much as she wasent it the wrong, neither was he. They had been used as pawns by their fathers, by their families to try mend a tragedy, to which they had played no part.

So Murtasim didn't try to defend himself further. He had told her the truth in that one moment, which is more than he had been letting on so far. He was still concealing the real reason for the visit to the goan.

They remained like this until the fields on running paralel to the motorway, began popping up with houses and the people began increasing and then, their goan came into sight. They were near.

'Sar pe dupatta lou.' ( Put the scarf over your head.) He said in an authorataive tone without looking at her. It was an instruction.

She's now a married women and a Khan. She would be on display in their own goan as his wife.

'Kya?' ( What ?) It was her first day being a wife and her scarf had been discarded to the back seat. His words had caught her off guard.

'Sunai nahi deeya?' ( Did you hear what i said.) No one had suggested it to him but he wanted her to cover her hair- a natural instinct had creeped over him. The people of the village were more prone to wandering eyes- and overflowing mouths- ready to pick apart their every action.

'Main aisay dupatta nahi pehnti.' ( I don't wear my scarf like that.) She hadent been to the goan in a very long time, and back then she was pre-pubescent. Nor did her family ever pressure since.

'Par goan mein pehnou ge...' ( But you will wear it like that in the village.)  He explained to her. 'Kyun kay tum meri biwi hou.' ( Because you are my wife now.)

Meri biwi. It felt like a curse word at this point.

He knew that she was a direct reflection of him in front of these people. Any wisperes against her his wife was an insult to him.

It was just a show- thats what she told herself when she reached back to retrieve the scarf and then draped it over her head. It was a sheer chiffon so didnt do much to protect her hair from the peering eyes or the sun - it was more symbloic rather than having ant effect on covering her as any sort of perdah.

The material was thin and slippy, constantly on the verge of slipping off. It was teasing him, questioning his demands and so she liked it.

There was a just a couple more long streets before they came to the Khan house. It was gated- like a prison. Keeping the prying eyes out. Keeping the captured in.

The doors opened for him without delay and he drove in, past the grass lawn and garden, and under the garage roof.

Murtasims nano's house was a beautiful red-stone house with a grand double story arched door for the enterance. Just to the right of enterance doors where the brick stairs leading up to the living quarters. To the left was the corridoor to the mens area and straight ahead were the internal doors to the courtyard, or aangan.

This is very large open communal where all the women sat. As meered gazed up, she noted that it seemed like wvery door lead out to a coridoor that peered over the courtard. She wasent quite sure how one could sit there without the constant feeling of being watched.

This is where they were greeted when they entered the building and Meerab found the woman to be a spitting image of Maa Begum, she was her mother after all. Bano. Sat right next her was her daughter-in-law Sana. Zara is Rohails mother.

Bano, his Nano, was a very old woman but she beamed at the sight of Murtasim and his brid and she out her hands out, they both kneeled and place their hands under her head. She obviosuly didnt hold the same sentiment as her daughter- she was plased to see Meerab so she accepted that Murtasim was syaing the truth when he said my nano wants to meet you.