20 - Laadli

Meerab had told him to feed himself, but she didnt think that he would be so offended as to not come up to their room in the evening.

So she tired her hair up and stepped out on a mission to find him. Her hands came to rest on the bannister looking down into the lowest level of the courtyard- there was only empty furniture. It seemed like everyone had settled for the evening.

Then she looked up - it was dark. There were a handful of stars visable in the polloution less country-side sky and she saw the glow emanating from the chath. She knew that he was there- so the made the trip up the stairs.

She heard their laughs before she caught sight of them- it was Rohail, Anas and Murtasim sat around an open fire. They were mid-laughing when they turned to see her and they quietened down. Rohail had passed something to Anas as she approached.

They had a bench each and Murtsim was sat comfortably against a chair with a high back. Murtasim gave him a look and Anas moved and sat next to Rohail, leaving a chair free for her- which she took.

'Kis baat ke hassi hai?' ( What's so funny?) Meerab asked- as though they would actually let her join in with their banter.

They didnt elaborate, instead Rohail said, 'Lagta hai bhabi tummay yaad kar karrahe thee.' ( Looks like our sister in law was remembering you.) He laughed between them and he chucked a couple more logs into the fire. It erupted into an amber tall flame and the logs crackled into a glowing grey.

Meerab didnt really get the connotation and answered, 'Zahir hai, itni raat hai. Banda bemaar hai.' ( Obviously. It's so late. The guy is unwell.)

There were a few smiles at her care for him.

Raat hai. Murtasim then remembered that she had told him she was scared of the dark- he hoped that their presence and the fire provided enough light for her. 'Tum kyun aaye? Main thori derr mei aajata.' ( Why did you come? I would come down in abit.) He said to his wife- only thinly veiling his concern for her phobia of darkness, his voice a pitch over.

'Mujhay kamre se nikalne ki paabandey hai?' She quipped with raised eyebrows and a sarcastic tone. Meerab crossed her knees one over the other- the air was surprising cool on the open roof. ( Am i not allowed to step out of the room?)

Murtasim shook his head faintly and the other two chuffed at the sight of the mighty Khan Murtasm Khan being humbled before his wife.

He had already told her that she was free to do as she wanted and to not do what she didn't want. He only said it because didn't need her to stress about him.

He inhaled the cigarette, his cheeks hollowing more than usual- he looked unwell still and it tugged at Meerab's heart.

This chath was mostly bare except for a couple terracotta plant plots - their leaves rustled in the soft night's breeze. Meerab folded her arms, and her hands came around to each elbow to protect herself from the elements.

'Yeh shawl ley lo.' ( Have this shawl.) Murtasim offered her. It was a choclatey brown one that he had placed loosley over his shoulders. He only had one functioning arm so it would have been a struggle to pull it off himself.

Meerab shook her head, rejecting the offer.

Couldnt she just do as she was told? He questioned himself. He reached forward to place his cigarette on the table and them his left arm bent awkwardly to take it off the shawl for her himself- there was friction between the the shawl and his kameez, and he winced.

Then Meerab put her hand out to gesture stop. 'Mujhay nahi chaiye. Tum pehnlo,' she redirected, her voice was tender, with an undeniable caring undertone. ( I dont need it. You wear it.) She had a loose sheer dupatta on and she didnt think that he minded her sitting with his cousins- they seemed close.