25 - Qurbat

Meerab was in her room, getting ready for the day in the Khan house. For some reason, after getting married, she had started to like the daily routine of applying makeup in the morning and taking it off at night, as a sort of ritual- to add structure to her otherwise slow day.

Today she wore a light makeup look that accentuated her natural features. A dewy rosy lipgloss and some bouncy curls, which Murtasim seemed to like, by the way he his eyes drooped when she came into view.

After all that, next thing was to choose an outfit.

It was to be an ordinary day. Murtasim told her that he would busy today attending meetings in his office, with accountants or lawyers or someone of the sort, which is why she was surprised to see him, walking behind her. The reflection of the dressing table capturing them both in a single moment, gazing upon the other's presence.

'Tum yahan? Meeting khatam ho gaye hai?' She asked, adjusting the way her hair lay over her shoulders, trying to get the curls to stay neatly in place. (You here, has the meeting ended?)

Then his eyes flickered from her open hair to her face, trying to decipher her words which had passed through his ears. 'Abhi nahi khatam hoye. Bas yeh kehne aaya tha, kay dopehar ko aik mehman aayega, tou tiyaar rehna.'(It hasn't ended yet, I just came to say that a guest is coming in the afternoon, be ready)

A guest? For her? Her ears perked up in excitement. Shah Nawaz was a lovely man, but the days spent together were quite mundane and she looked forward to anything with a little more zest. 'Kaun?'(Who?)

He took the moment to step forward to the mirror to twist the curls of his mustache upwards, locking them into place. He looked quite businessy, in his western attire, but his blazer had long been discarded. 'Aik baar maan he lo meri baat.' Murtasim said before turning to leave. (For once you can do as I say.)

She didn't like surprises.

She tutted. 'Ushe hisaab say tiyaar hounge.' She tried to explain as she saw him walking out, her voice rising to meet his, as the distance between them increase. (I'll dress accordingly.)

That wasn't enough information. She immediately stood up and took a few paces after him and called out, 'Murtasim. Suniye.' ( Murtasim. Listen.)

He halted in his track and turned back to look at her, and replied, 'Sunaiye.' ( Do tell.)

Meerab approached, leisurely into their mini attached living room. She had always appreciated the size of his living quarters- they could had enough space to stay mad at each other, and still be together. Her dress swayed around her at every step, dancing to the tune of her footsteps.

Of all times, this is when she chose to remain silent. 'Abb kay hai?' (What now?)

He leaned against his glass cabinet full of shine, metal guns. The dark of the polished steel was particularly alluring - and just out of reach.

'Kaun aaraha hai?' She asked more tenderly this time- she wanted to be prepared as his Khaani to be the perfect hostess. It would be her first time, and after the sheer kurma disaster, she would take meticulous care in all preparations. (Who's coming?)

Mariyum had already apologized, it turned out that she had put double the amount of sugar, whilst they had been conversing with one another. Too engrossed in gossip about a new drama serial, which they had both been watching and gushing over how hot Fawad Khan looked in Khoobsurat. Now she would forever be teased for trying to sweeten her in-laws, a little too literally.

She came to stand one step too close to him. Her eyes flickering between him and the collection of rifles behind him. She remembered that they had involved in an different reaction when she had initally encountered his display of 'power' as she entered on their wedding night. Atleast she knew that it wasn't an empty show, he was willing to fire at the first opportunity.