47 - Chahat

More seriously, she nuzzled into him and shared, 'Woh kaagaz ne mujhey tumhein bhulne nahi diya.' In reflection, she had been waiting too- for reality to resume, for the next stage in her life. (That marriage contract never let me forget you)

He sobered at the mention of their nikkah paper- he had heard that word too many times today. 'Mujhe bhi iss cheez ka andesha hai,' he confessed. (I know)

'Kya matlab?,' Meerab enquired, trying to decipher his cryptic words. (What do you mean)

'Rohail aur Saba ke beech ka kaagaz...' he trailed, his words laced in remorse of what he had let escalate, festering into a tempest which threatened to wreck their heaven. (The paper between Rohail and saba...)

The implication of his words felt like a open palm slap, like a gallon of ice cold water being dumped on their heads which would practically suffocate them. 'Kaagaz hai?' Meerab cut him off in shock, her eyes searched frantically for the answer. (There is a contract?)

There was an unswallowable gulp of apprehension as she waited for the answer.

Murtasim nodded guiltily, confirming her fears.

A 'Murtasim' tore from her mouth in a shaky, shocked exhale

'Issi liye peene gye the, malum karne ke gaon mei kya ho raha tha,' he explained in a mumble and Rohail's condition made a little more sense. (That's why I went with him, allowed him to drink so much, to find out what is going on.)

It felt like her heart plummeted. 'Pehle kisi ne uspe aisay pabandi nahi lagai. Tumne aik he baar zabardasti ki mangani kar de,' she recalled, now realising the eery sense of calm to be an illusion. 'Sab ke saamne, Saba ke saamne, jaldi mei - usko bardasht nahi hua,' she deciphered, finally understanding that Rohail was led to be direct his own story in the gaon. (No one has put any boundaries to him before, you did it for the first time by engaging him infront of everyone infront of saba, so he took the matters in his own hands)

Watching the cogs in her mind turn, he felt her placing the blame on him. 'Tumhari Saba bhi koi kam nahi hai,' he said accusatorially and her eyes darkened at his tone. (Saba is no less)

'Rohail ke kehne pe hi kiya hoga. Khaan itne masoom nahi hai,' she snapped, looking at him up and down- the crease in his furrowed eyebrows was untimely. 'Tumse he seekha hoga.' He was a master orchestrator, Rohail was a version of the same, working diligently behind the scene. (She would've done this as Rohail asked. Khans aren't innocent. He would have learnt from you.)

He rolled his eyes at the statement, looking off to the side- to the amber hued skies that witnessed them bicker. They saw people weaving through the open lands, a far away motor bike zooming, but it appeared to be barley moving from high and far away they were. 'Na he Malikon ke bande masoom hai.' They were the same, clashing because they were too similar. (Neither are maliks.)

Her ears peaked up at the comparison, at the mention of her cousins. 'Kya matlab? Ab kya hua?' (what do you mean, what happened?)

'Adeel aur zaid mile the aaj,' he shared matter-of-factly and her mood mellowed, her irk fading as if they were innocent and could do no wrong. (I met adeel and zaid)

The boys had been in Islamabad throughout the baraat ordeal, and she had only met with them in a fleeting moment in the walimah. 'Theek the? Kya keh rahe the? Kahan mile?' She asked with a lightened voice and a joyful smile threatened to replace the anger. She was eager- pulled to the idea of them. (How are they, where did you meet them?)

'Theek the. Peene aaye the,' Murtasim informed bluntly - his voice was flat, knocking her off the pedestal of excitement. (They are fine, they came for drinks)