56 - Umeed

The corridor leading to the kitchen began to infuse in a rich perfume of toasted spices, steeped elegant saffron, stewed meat and steamed rice. It all amalgamated into an aroma that wafted with every pull opening and closing door, slowly wandering outwards so that it beckoned every member of their home.

Murtasim put away his files into the office, placing the accounts ledgers into their place for the end of his day. The throne where he had cuddled with his wife was empty, forevermore a token of her grudge melting. Exhaling the tiring work away, Murtasim unbuttoned the starched fabric at his wrists, folding the white fabric upon itself so it secured above his elbow.

It was a mundane evening - there were no hiccups in their staff, no traffic on his route home, no cause for concern because according to him, his wife was on her way home.

Following the smell of decadent biryani, each step was automatic and light. The fabric of his crisp white shalwar was comfortable and airy, and the only thing that would bring more peace would be his wife coming into sight so that his shoulders could drop in her balm-like presence.

The rosewood table was fully decked out, the cutlery was neatly assembled for every member of the family. ''Koyi Meerab ko uske kamre se jaake bulao. Damm hone hi wala hai,'' Maa Begum ordered whilst directing the staff to set up for dinner together. (Someone go call Meerab from her bedroom. The dish is about to be ready.)

''Anas keh rahe the ke goan mein masroof the, issi liye waqt lag gaya,'' Mariyum obediently lied like she was told, pretending to help set the table, tiling the placemats to be neater. (Anas said that they got busy in the village, that's why they're behind the schedule.)

''Meerab ghar nahi pahunchi,'' Murtasim needed clarification, halting past the grand archway that lead to the dining room. (Meerab hasn't reached home yet?)

''Abhi nahi,'' Mariyum replied with a tight lipped smile. (Not yet.)

Twisting his wrist, the squared dial watch that his wife had gifted was facing upwards to show the hour - Meerab should have been home. The windows showed the evening sky sleeping above them, the curtains half drawn for a cosy feet, light along the alcoves being stitched on.

''Kyun? Itni der nahi lagni chahiye thi,'' his mother thought out loud, the presumption being that they should have returned home before dark. ''School ke zameen chunni thi sirf, eenth nahi rakhne the,'' Maa Begum had blatantly scornful eyes, not appreciating the way the girl was unaccounted for, but with a tone of concern. Without anyone noticing, she had grown accustom to fretting over Meerab too. (Why? It shouldn't have taken so long. They only went to select the land for the school, not to lay the brick.)

''Anas ko pata hona chahiye ke kaam jaldi khatam kar ke ghar aana hai - Isi liye to bheja tha kyunki use ke zameeno ka pata hai,'' Murtasim spoke out, his words edged in concern. In the same moment, the phone was dialled. Over the patter of staffs shoes on the marble flooring, the ringing of his phone carried in the air. (Anas should know that the job should have been done without wasting time, and for Meerab to have been returned home - that's why I specifically sent him with Meerab, as he knows the lands so well.)

The bells reverberated through the open room, but then failed to cease - it was a warning.

''Utha nahi rahi?'' Maa Begum asked, looking to her son. (She's not picking up her phone?)

''Nahi,'' he mumbled, irritation rousing at not being able to contact her. (No.)

Redirecting to Mariyum, she said, ''Anas ko phone kar ke poocho ke kaunse gaon gaya hua hai meri bahu ko leke? Aur kitni derr lagegi?'' She was annoyed at her son in law slacking in the assigned role- it was just unfortunate that Murtasim had been to busy to personally escort Meerab, and Anas had his blind trust. (Phone Anas as ask which village he took my daughter in law to!)