Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Admit

Inaantok man ay natagpuan ko na lang ang sariling kong nasa kotse at kabado. To make it worse, I was in the same car with my grandfather. At ako lang mag-isa dahil nasa kabilang kotse ang mga pinsan ko.

Tahimik naman ang buong biyahe. I don't know what has gotten into him. Kung bakit niya pa kami dadalhin sa Palao, we already have a permanent church that we go to.

And I can't help but ask it.

"Lo, bakit sa Palao tayo magsisimba?"

"Why not?" balik naman niya.

I gulped nervously. "We stick to one church right?"

"Yes, we are... which church do you mean?"

"The church of Pastor Lim."

He laughed. As if I made a mistake in the answer. Tama naman ata ang sagot ko ah?

It's true, sa simbahan kami ni Pastor Lim madalas na nagsisimba.

"Hindi ba maiiba ang iisipin ni Pastor Lim kung iba tayo ng sisimbahan natin ngayon?" tanong ko pa.

"Bakit?" he raised his brow. "Hindi naman ang Pastor ang sinasamba natin doon ah?" He chuckled and shook his head in dismay at my words. "You really don't have any idea of your girlfriend's world... How strict and holy it is to serve and how unacceptable it is for a Levite like her to date someone different from her kind, someone like you."

"Same naman kami ng religion..." I reasoned.

He scoffed and looked outside of the window. "Religion is not everything."

"Do you want me to break up with her?" Cause I'm really confused! Umiling ako. "I won't break up with her."

"She's too good for you." Umiling siya.

"But isn't that what you want? For all of your grandsons to end up with someone good?"

"Only if they deserve it." He spat harshly. Hinilot niya na naman ang sentido

"So you're saying that I don't deserve her, Lo?"

"I'm done assessing you. Judge yourself. Is it right for a boy like you—who drinks and parties at night, who enjoys the pleasures of the world—to date a Godly woman like her?"

Napatingin ako sa labas ng bintana. Susuportahan ko naman si Denise sa ministry niya. Hindi ko naman siya pipigilan. I'll support her through and through.

"I even doubt if she knew that you drink alcohol with your friends, at madaling araw ka nang umuuwi."

Natahimik ako. Because he's right. Denise doesn't know.

"Malapit na tayong dumating... Baka may gusto kang ipagtapat sa akin bago ako makipagkamay kay Pastor Elijah?"

Naging tahimik ang buong kotse ng ilang minuto. Hindi ko pa alam kung anong isasagot ko. But I just feel like I need to.

The car stopped. I looked outside and saw a white building. More like a house but, also got a touch of the function hall. May tumutugtog na sa loob.

My grandfather fixed his polo and attempted to stand at bago niya pa nabuksan ang pinto ay nagsalita na ako.

"I don't know if her Uncle knows me."

"I thought so..." He shrugged. "I was right... again. Tama na naman ako."

I silently followed him while he was walking to the entrance of the church. All of my other male cousins lined up after me. While Tarrie held Lolo's hand, and Claire held Tarrie's other hand as we walked as a family.