Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Keep

"Because I wanna keep you...even though it's against our rules."

Natigilan ako. There was a long silence in between. Is she lying? If she is then I'm screwed. Sumasakit ang sulok ng mata ko at nagiging malabo ang mata ko. If she's lying, she will be my greatest downfall. Kung nagsisinungaling siya, hindi ko maipapaliwanag ang bigat sa dibdib ko.

"You're lying," umiling ako. "Y-Your actions don't say that you wanna keep me."

"I'm not an idiot!" she's raging. "I... I just can't show weakness or a slight inappropriateness! I grew up in a tough household Damian! I was born with responsibilities and was assigned to be the third parent to my siblings. And I can't rest!"

"I understand that Den..." I gulped. "What I'm saying is you only talk to me when it's convenient for you... Sinagot mo lang ako kasi convenient para sa'yo."

"Oh? Do you think I'm that kind of a person? Who uses people out of their convenience? I get it that you feel that way because that is what I said that moment I agreed to be yours."

"So you have feelings for me..." I didn't state these words merely. I claimed it.

She looked at the heavens and looked back at me. Tumango siya. "I got hurt when I saw you carrying Tarrie's bag. You're not the type of guy to be a gentleman and all. And I thought that you were not related. I thought you are playing with me again. That you are not taking this seriously too. But it turns out that she is the hidden Hiñago and she's your cousin." She chuckled, frustrations coming out. "Sabi ko, ayokong magseryoso, pero nasaktan ako sa maliit na bagay. Ironic. If I don't like you already then what was that?"

"Kaya ba binigay mo sa kanya ang bracelet na regalo ko para sayo?"

Umiling siya. "No. I gave it to her kasi alam ko nang pinsan mo siya—and I don't want to receive anything from you—kasi katulad ng sinabi ko, hindi naman tayo seryoso."

Imbes na magsalita ay nilagay ko sa pulso niya ang bracelet.

I'm aware that I didn't buy this thing with my own hard-earned money. And that I'm lucky to be born in a well-off clan. But this is the best I could give so far. In my first serious relationship.

"Wear that," I said with the finality. "I'm serious with you. I don't care if you still doesn't want to get attached. But I will plead, Denise... I will plead if I need to... just so you can treat me seriously too."

I promise I won't make you feel ashamed while wearing that.

I sighed and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I'll be good from now on. Just... don't make our connection as vulnerable as a thread."

When I left, I didn't make any advances. No stolen kisses. No stolen hugs. I just walked and opened the car door silently.

I won't see her for another week. Hindi siya makakalabas ng basta-basta. Strict parents and strict schedule.

I guess I'll see her at the opening of the university. I don't know when will that be. Ilang buwan pa siguro.

"Anong balita sa lakad mo?" tanong ni Lolo, pinatawag niya ako sa gazebo, bandang hapon. Kasama niya si Claire sa gazebo, naglalaro sila ng chess.

"It was fine." I informed him. "Hindi naman siguro masama Lo kung lilipat ako ng simbahan diba?"

His brows knitted together and his eyes turned into slits. "Hindi naman... Lilipat ka?"

Tumango ako. "Nandoon si Denise."

Claire gave me a side-eye and my grandfather chuckled. "Ikaw bahala..."