Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Give in

That awful and painful time of the year is here again. Anniversary. To be more specific, death anniversary. Our family doesn't commonly acknowledge the body of the dead, but this one is an exemption. Imbes na iluksa ang araw na to, ginagawa na lang naming reunion.

After the Sunday service we set off to Lanao. Sa Lanao nilibing si Kuya Javier. Twelve cars convoyed to get there, even our maids and drivers attended. Lahat ay may kanya-kanyang dala na pagkain. Of course the main course, si Lolo na ang bahala.

As I said, death anniversaries became our reunion days. We accept their deaths in a very different way too. Hindi kami nagsisindi ng kandila o nag-aalay ng bulaklak dahil personally, we find it useless. The dead won't be able to feel or see it anymore.

So we are just coming here to eat and to catch up with each other's lives. Like some sort of picnic.

Umupo si Dad sa tabi ko at umakbay sa akin. Nag-uusap kami habang nagsusubuan sila ni Mommy. "Ano nang nangyayari sa'yo rito?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I know full well that I was far from being an obedient grandson to Lolo. Does my father already know or do I just need to lie that I am fine?

"O-okay naman, Dad."

He looked at me suspiciously and just shrugged.

My mother hugged my other arm and leaned toward me. "My baby is getting taller and bigger..." she sighed.

"Ma, malaki na yan, hindi niya na kailangan i-baby..." Isaiah laughed and made a face at me.

Dahil doon, lumipat tuloy si Mama sa kanya. Siya naman ang napagtripan ni Mom.

From the gates of the providence, I heard another car. Nakita ko ang babaeng naka-payong na lumabas galing roon. Nakaputing bestida katulad ng nakasanayan at tila kumikinang habang naglalakad sa dereksiyon namin. May dala rin siyang bilao ng pagkain.

"Nandito na si Ate Nacy," I informed Dad..

Dad smiled seeing Ate Nacy. Lahat naman ata kami ay natuwa.

Ate Nacy was the beloved fiancé of my late brother, Javier Hiñago.

Madalang lang kami biyayaan ng babae sa pamilya. Sa ratio pa lang ng mga apo ni Lolo, si Tarrie lang ang babae, dose ang lalake. We were happy when Claire moved in, because finally, my kaibigan na si Tarrie. Hindi na siya mag-iisa.

Mas naging masaya kami nang nalaman namin na gustong pakasalan ni Kuya si Ate Nacy although she's the first born of the Mondiegos... Over the time, it became fine. Pumayag naman ang mga Mondiego sa kasal matapos ng matagal na panunuyo.

Kung ako ang tatanungin, parang may sumpa ang pamilyang ito. Three of the Mondiego wives, died young. The unica hija also died young. That was Aunt Estella.

Para bang lahat ng babae sa pamilyang ito ay hinahabol ng espirito ng kamatayan. Ganoon na lang ang ingat namin sa mga babaeng natitira sa buhay namin. Mom, Tita Bernadette, Ate Nacy, Tarrie, and even Claire.

As usual, Ate Nacy came alone. She has always been independent, she can walk alone, drive alone and live alone and I've never seen her weak. She walks firmly, and fast as if time was not always on her side. But then, every year, around this same day. I can always feel how she makes her day free, she slows down for Kuya Javi.

"Nacy!" Lolo also hugged her and laughed like Santa. Ate Nacy kissed the back of his hand as a sign of respect and greeting.

She did it to Dad too. She kissed him on the back of his hand at kalaunan ay bumati sa dalawa.