O N E

SCHOOL had been seeming like it was optional since the beginning.

It was crazy how I had already missed two days of school when it had only started a week and a half ago.

I was sitting down at my vanity, using a denman brush to brush through my black curls. It reached just under my chest.

Pretty much everything was done since I had already done my makeup. I usually tried to get that out of the way since it would always take me the longest.

I pulled out one of the white drawers, placing the brush inside and closing it after.

I found a bottle of perfume, spraying it on me. Finally, I stood up, walking over to my bed. I found my hoodie, taking it just in case since the classrooms were cold.

Outside, it was immensely hot. The California heatwave was no joke.

I unplugged my phone from charger, seeing it was 7:25 am. We lived about 5-10 minutes away from the school and the bell didn't ring until 7:40 am.

I slipped my phone into my pocket, turned off the lights in my room and started walking downstairs.

Kade was sitting at the barstool at the island, eating a bowl of cereal. He was wearing a black shirt and black athletic shorts.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle.

Our mom was asleep upstairs so we tried not to make too much noise.

We felt that we should be a little considerate since whenever she was asleep, she needed it. There wasn't a set time when she had to be at work, so sleep was crucial.

It was rare when she was home since she was always at the hospital.

"You actually look good today."

"Actually?" I closed the refrigerator and walked over to the island, getting my wristlet keychain. It had my wallet and car keys with it. "I look good everyday."

He raised a brow before shaking his head and going back to his cereal. "Lying is a sin."

"Not lying." I took everything I needed and walked to the front door, grabbing my backpack that was only filled with my Chromebook, two pencils, and a sheet of paper.

I threw it over one shoulder and opened up the door, stepping out in the entryway.

Kade put his bowl in the sink and grabbed his backpack that was resting on the kitchen island before walking outside with me.

I locked the door and lifted my car keys up, unlocking the doors to my car.

I got inside, putting my backpack and hoodie in the backseat before starting the car up. A song from Drake came on from the last time I was driving.

I could admit, I was a heavy fan for him.

Although I will skip passionfruit every time it comes on.

I reversed out the driveway, turning to the left to get on our way to school. I drove down the neighborhood, seeing someone jogging and another person mowing the lawn.

Usually Kade was always on aux whenever we rode together, but at this moment he had to finish some English III homework since apparently, his class was already assigning homework already.

I had one hand on the wheel while I rested against my seat, watching the street. My phone buzzed in the cupholder and I took it out, looking at it to see who sent me a message.

"I'm fearing for my life right now, Asra."

"Chill out," I replied, turning my phone off and putting my it back in the cupholder. He did this every time I glanced at my phone while driving.