F O U R

"WELL this is a new record, isn't it?"

I raised a brow.

"Last year your first time getting a referral was in the fourth week of school," Atkins clarified to help me with my confusion. "Now it's week three."

Couldn't believe it was Monday and I was already getting wrote up.

He slid my write up to me, writing something down on the other one before sliding it to Layla. "You, Miss Ross, not so much. Last year you got a referral on the first day for dress code."

"Because my top was revealing," Layla shook her head. "Isn't it crazy how only the male teachers reported it?" Layla took the write up and folded it, putting it in her pocket.

Atkins only shrugged. "So, you both have two choices. After school detention today, or ISS on Wednesday.

"Well, I have work." I responded. "I'll take iss. It's not that bad."

"Me too," Layla agreed. "I don't have any transportation."

"I'm sure your mom will pick you up." He nodded over to the phone. "Shall we call her?"

"You want me dead or something?" Layla brushed hair out of her face. It rested in curls.

"Do we really think telling my conservative, almond mom that I have after school detention is gonna flow right with her?"

I smiled to myself.

Even though her mom and my mom were sisters, there was such a difference between them that I had settled on the fact that my mom was adopted or something.

Aunt Melanie was uptight and more strict than not. My mom was laid back and didn't care about a lot of things.

Not only were their qualities different, so were their looks.

My mom had wavy, almost curly brown hair and hazel eyes. Her mom had straight brown hair that was almost blonde and blue eyes.

Not to mention that Aunt Mel was pale and my mom had olive skin.

It was also crazy how Layla didn't share any of the same characteristics. She took after her dad; dark brown hair and eyes, and not pale skin.

The most obvious reason they were different was how Aunt Mel was married to a white guy and my mom was married to my dad, who was black.

He smiled. "I wasn't planning on calling her anyways."

"Glad we're clear on that," Layla stood up. She was wearing jeans and black v neck top.

It always made me smile how one day out of the month she would dress up.

"Alright," Atkins finally said. "I want you two to go straight to class. No skipping."

"Can't promise that." I replied while standing up, putting my backpack over one shoulder, starting to follow behind Layla.

"Asra," Atkins said my name.

I turned around, looking to see what he needed.

"I don't have a shirt for you. Check the lost and found." He recommended. "I wouldn't want you to have twenty five minutes of detention again."

"Those shirts haven't been washed in years. There's no way you think I'm wearing any of them."

"If I see you again today I hope you have on something else," He told me, looking back down to his paperwork.

He wasn't asking me anymore. He was telling me.

I glanced down to the top I was wearing.

It was a white seamless top, kind of a plunge neck cut.