T W E N T Y S E V E N

Isaac Hale

THE living room was cold. Wood beams were placed on the high ceilings, a drum pendant chandelier in the center.

We all sat on the long, beige cuddler sectional couch. A brown, wooden coffee table in the middle.

A rug was placed under, covering the dark hardwood floor. The tv was in front of us, mounted on the brick wall. Underneath it was a fireplace.

Asra beside me, her head resting against the side of my chest as her cheek was pressed against me. Her leg was draped over mine and her arm rested over my lower waist.

My left arm was under her arm, wrapping around her upper body. My hand rested just over her chest. My other arm was propped up against the arm rest.

"Why is it always cold in here?" Layla wondered, turning the dial counter clock wise on the thermostat.

"Because I usually only come here in the summertime." Easton responded. He was laying on a spot on the couch, a white blanket over him as he scrolled through his phone.

"I swear I would be here all the time if I had a whole ass lake house," Layla commented, sitting down on one side of Easton, his head beside her legs. "I have no clue why you don't flaunt what you have."

"I didn't want to seem ostentatious," He said. "But truthfully speaking, it's really not all that."

"So," A voice was heard. I looked over to see KT as he was walking down the wooden staircase. "You're telling me that I woke up to the smell of nothing?"

He was shirtless and only wore black athletic shorts with white Nike socks.

Camila was still asleep upstairs.

East's brows furrowed as he looked away from his phone. "Mind telling me what you wanted to smell?"

"A full course meal, dumbass," He quickly answered, not missing a beat as he jumped on top of Easton.

"It's eight in the morning. Chill."

"The fridge is empty," Layla informed him, looking at her cousin cuddling her boyfriend. "He only comes here in the summer so some things expire."

"It's eight in the morning," Kade got comfortable on top of East. "You're telling me that you couldn't have made a quick grocery run?"

"How? I don't have my truck."

"There's a Chevrolet Traverse in the driveway. You know how to drive it."

"Yeah, over my dead body," Easton shook his head, unbelieving that Kade would actually suggest that. "I wouldn't be caught dead driving that mom ass car."

"Dude, it's a car." Layla rolled her eyes, fluffing out a decorative throw pillow and propping it just under her head as she rested against the corner of the couch.

"Some people would be grateful to be able to drive anything." KT nodded.

"You literally don't have your permit, shut the fuck up." Easton replied.

"No shit, that's exactly why I'm saying people would be grateful," KT got off of East, finding a nearby pillow and throwing it at him.

Asra stayed silent, not saying anything as she watched the scene. She looked tired.

It was understandable, since we had all been up since five, not being adjusted to sleeping in yet.

I let the side of my jaw rest against her head, pressing my lips to her dark hair.

"Since your fat ass is so hungry, take the skateboard. It's somewhere around here," East and Kade were almost fighting, him laying down, pushing Kade's hands while he stood over him.