T W E N T Y N I N E

"EVERYONE needs to remember that if you don't follow the proper graduation protocol, you will not be graduating."

Principal Atkins stood up on the black stage with a few administrators.

Everyone sat in their assigned seats. It was around eleven in the morning on a Saturday and we were on the football field, practicing for graduation that would be next Saturday.

I sat between Aliyah and a guy that I had never talked to. Easton sat a row in front of me, Layla two few rows in front of me, four people down from Brooklyn. Isaac was close to the front since his last name started with H.

My right leg was crossed over my left as I rested my left arm on it, swiping against my Apple Watch as I texted Layla.

I was wearing jeans and a scoop neck top, my curly hair in a ponytail.

The California sun was shining on, white chairs lined up across the football field, resting on the turf.

"Keep in mind that you will only be receiving the diploma case when you shake my hand," Atkins said, microphone close by his lips. "If you act out before you receive it, you will not be given it the night of graduation. You can have it in July."

Aliyah sighed from beside me, dropping her white notecard with our names on the ground. I bent down, picking it up. It read Aliyah Tejada.

"Thank you," She said, taking it from me and resting it against her thigh. She wore jeans and a white shirt. I noticed her nails were blue French tips.

Her hair was blonde with brown undertones. She had the same skin tone as Camila.

Her brows were filled in, she wore lashes that framed her dark brown eyes, and her lips were lined and had lip gloss on them.

"You seem bored already," I noted, looking back to my watch when it buzzed.

"Because he's saying shit that doesn't matter," She replied. "He needs to hurry up."

It was true. We had been out here since nine thirty. We got our note cards, did sizing for our gowns, did a brief run through on how we would walk in a line to our seats, and we finally had gotten seated. He had now been talking for the longest time.

Every single girl would be wearing a red grad gown and the guys would be wearing a blue one.

The whole seating area would be covered in red and blue. Our parents would be seating on the bleachers across the field.

"He's been doing this for four years," I smiled, turning my watch off and looking at her, giving her my full attention. "I really find it hard to believe that he would stop now."

"It would take a miracle," She responded, pushing her blonde highlighted hair behind her ear before resting her chin in her hand as her elbow pressed against her thigh. Beaded bracelets went from her wrist to mid arm.

"I don't want to hear any complaints when some of you guys don't receive your diplomas," Atkins told us from the stage. "A lot of you should be grateful that you even graduated. Asra Terrano."

I raised my hand, waving it at him when he called me out, heads turning towards me.

Aliyah looked over at me, a smile on her face. "This suddenly got interesting."

I shook my head at her words.

Even though he was so far away, Isaac caught my eye, him staring silently for a moment before a smile touched his lips as he turned back around.

"I'm messing around," Atkins smiled. "I'm gonna miss you and your execrable cousin." He looked down to his watch for a moment before looking back to us. "Graduation will be held this upcoming Saturday at 6:30 pm. You must get here fifteen minutes earlier for us to get situated. Remember to pick up your gown before leaving. You're dismissed."