The Spectral Sawfish

A few more days had past since that night, except this time Davy didn't avoid me. In fact, we had some pleasant conversations when there was any free time. But I noticed at some point in the conversation he would suddenly get angry, like he did that night we took down the giant crab. 'Was it something I said?' I wondered one afternoon. I decided to ask him about that later this evening, and hopefully I'd get an answer, but I doubted that.

It was evening now, and I went to the back of the ship to watch the sunset like Davy had said, I'd finally get a good look someday. The sun was about halfway down when I heard those familiar footsteps behind me.

"Evening, Davy," I said.

"Evenin' lass," he went and stood beside me.

We stood in a pleasant silence for a few moments admiring the sunset.

"Sunset's pretty," I remarked.

He looked like he was about to say something then, but immediately got mad at himself, and kept quiet. I decided now was the time to ask why.

"Is something wrong?" I asked gently.

"No...why?" He responded, looking at me.

"Well, sometimes during our conversations when we're talking, you suddenly seem to get angry out of nowhere...why is that?"

He stood there in silence looking uncomfortable.

"I...I don't know."

"Oh?"

He was about to speak again when suddenly, the ship lurched sideways. I lost my balance and bumped into Davy who, to my great surprise caught me.

"Sorry," I mumbled, and I could feel myself going scarlet.

"Yer fine," he said, looking quite flustered himself.

We went on deck to see what had caused the sudden lurch.

"What was that?" Davy asked.

"I don't know, Captain." Maccus replied. "Possibly it's another one of them, crabs."

"Not another one." I moaned.

Everyone searched the water trying to see anything, but after a few minutes some of the crew were getting impatient.

"Probably just a reef." Said a guy who looked like a shrimp.

"Yer probably right." said Davy. "Back to yer stations!" He ordered.

"Wait!" I said, noticing some movement. "What's that?" I pointed at what looked like a shark fin coming out of the water, circling us.

Everyone looked at where I was pointing, Davy got out his spy glass and looked...then paled. I had never seen him go pale before, in fact I didn't think it was possible.

"What is it sir?" Someone asked.

"A Spectral Sawfish." He replied, and several of the crew gasped.

"A what?" I said, having no clue what it was. "What's a 'Spectral Sawfish'?"

"You'll find out soon enough," Davy replied. Then he shouted, "BATTLE STATIONS! WE GOT A SPECTRAL SAWFISH OFF THE PORT SIDE!"