Old Wounds

Davy's POV

I had been searching for the map for around five minutes now and I still found nothing.

"Where is that bloody map!?" I whispered to myself, getting slightly annoyed.

At last I found an old piece of parchment with some markings on it, but I couldn't read it.

"Is this it?" I asked walking over.

Nyx looked at the map for a second. "Yes! This is it!" She exclaimed, taking the map from my hand and spreading it out on a wooden crate. I still couldn't decipher it.

"What does it say?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't know, you can only read it when moonlight shines on it."

"Ah. Guess we'll have to travel by night then."

"Yep." She rolled it up and handed it back to me.

"Good luck." She said, then led me and Marina to the door.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Nyx ran and fetched something.

"The emerald is guarded by a purgatory octopus, and you'll need something to help you defeat it." She handed me a jar with, what looked like a baby squid on the inside.

"Is that-" I started, but she cut me off

"Yes it's a baby kraken, your going to need it."

"What? How did you get this?" I asked, eyeing the jar

"I have my ways." She replied simply. "I will warn you, I put a spell on it so it will mature in three days. Make sure to release it to the sea by sunset tomorrow, or it will most likely capsize your ship." She finished with a chuckle.

"Your also going to have to step on land at some point, so I'm giving you this."

She handed me a bottle with purple liquid inside.

"Only drink this when your about to step on land, it will give you 24 hours to do what you need too."

I stood shocked, unable to think of what to say.

"Now go on, I'll see you again." She said, pushing us out the door.

*********

We rode back to the Dutchman in silence, and I noticed Marina looked like she was about to be sick.

"You alright?" I asked her.

She jumped when I spoke, something was definitely off.

"Yes, yes I'm fine." She said, but I could tell she was lying.

I almost said something, but decided to wait until we were back on the Dutchman to say it.

Marina's POV

As I climbed onto the Dutchman I saw a storm was coming in, and it looked like a big one. Bright flashes of lightning lit up the evening sky and loud bursts of thunder shook the air. It was beautiful.

I did my evening chores which involved mopping the deck, and scraping off what felt like thousands of barnacles. At last I finished and went to watch the storm come in.

"Evening, Marina." I jumped and turned to find Davy beside me.

"Everything alright lass?"

"Yes, I told you earlier I'm fine." I lied.

He gave me a skeptical look.

"No yer not, I know a lie when I see one. what's botherin' ya?"

I gulped. I didn't know how to tell him, I didn't want him to get mad at me, or worse. Without really noticing I gripped the railing, trying desperately to control my breathing. I suddenly felt his arm wrap around my shoulders, and I broke into tears. I cursed myself.

"I-I'm sorry." I croaked. "I saw everything. Everything that happened to you."

"She showed you then?" He asked quietly.

I nodded silently.

"I knew it was bad, but I didn't think..." I started to say but he interrupted.

"Oh it's the worse thing any man can go through." He slammed his claw against the railing in anger.

"I'm so sorry Davy." I whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I was only trying to help you."

"No man can survive that much pain, so why did I? Why???" He was shaking with rage now.

I stopped for a moment and without thinking I hugged him. I could hear faint sniffles coming from him, and I saw his face was unnaturally wet.

"You know what?" I said quietly. "I think you survived because your strong, and not willing to give up so easily. In fact you're the strongest person I know."

"How are you so sure?" He asked, facing me.

"Because I know you. I know you're not one to surrender or give up."

He smiled slightly as more tears wet his cheeks.

Without noticing I reached up my hand and wiped the tears from his face.

"All you need to do is work on forgiving and forgetting." I said softly.

"I know," he replied. "It's just...really hard for me."

"I'll help you." I said, taking his hand.

"I'd like that." He replied, giving me another smile.

Wow I about cried writing this chapter. Prob bc I'm currently in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend irl and it's making me miss him😭