Chapter 4: Mobius and Ravonna

Mobius entered the office with a playful smile. "Seems like you're angry, Ravonna. I can practically see the steam coming out," he joked.

"Not in the mood, Mobius," Ravonna replied, clearly agitated. "I had a talk with Soren, and she is incredibly hostile, much like her father." She poured herself and Mobius a cup of bourbon. "It worries me that she can just barge into my office and try to intimidate me." Ravonna handed Mobius his drink.

"Well, she might just be unsure about this place. By the way, you never told me why she's here in the first place," Mobius stated, taking a sip of his drink.

Ravonna let out a sigh. "I brought her here because she initially broke the timeline rules. She created a time-traveling device based on Stark's idea, but it ended up in the hands of Wade Wilson, who started messing with the timeline. So, I made a deal with her. Instead of being labeled a criminal for causing timeline branches, she can help us catch this dangerous variant." Ravonna walked towards the shelves in her office. "But that alone wasn't enough to fully convince her, so I allowed her to join you and Loki," she finished explaining.

"Why make her a criminal instead of Wade?" Mobius asked, curious.

"Trust me, I'm still figuring that out. But Wade is far more unpredictable than Loki. Not to mention, Soren's other acquaintances are even more complicated," Ravonna replied. "Firstly, she wasn't supposed to create a time device, which already violated several laws. And then having a lunatic like Wade rewrite the timeline made her liable. Tony Stark creating a time device was acceptable because it was meant to happen. However, I may have underestimated Soren. I suspect she has ulterior motives, but I don't have any evidence of her wrongdoing," Ravonna explained.

Mobius pondered for a moment. "Maybe you're being a bit paranoid about her. Let's face it, if she truly wanted to harm us, she could have. I've seen some glimpses of her life, not all of it, but she's undeniably powerful on her own. How about this: I'll keep an eye on both Loki and Soren to ensure they don't deviate from their mission. They'll be my responsibility," he suggested, aiming to calm Ravonna's mind.

"If anything, Soren would be my responsibility, and it's my reputation on the line. All I ask is that you watch her closely and report anything suspicious. I'll handle her personally," Ravonna requested. "By the way, how is the mission with Loki at the Renaissance fair going?"

Mobius took another sip before responding. "Well, he did try to pull a stunt to, I suppose, meet the Time-Keepers. But I caught him in a lie," he recounted, placing his empty glass on a table. Ravonna looked at him intently. "Do you truly believe in this variant we're chasing?"

"I believe we have two capable agents on the job. I'm confident that I can make them work together and apprehend the variant. If not, then I'll deal with him myself," Mobius replied as he headed towards the door. "But, I must say, he's quite arrogant," Mobius whispered the last words before leaving the office.