33

What do you do when you are tasked with nearly the impossible?

When you are now fighting with yourself on what to do. What to do. What to do? Even if the answer is that you shouldn't, what do you do? There were expectations placed on Kendall Roy. Logan Roy had made that clear his entire life.

His older brother was a narcissistic fuck up, who liked collecting odd ball items and had unusually younger girlfriends, thinking that the world was constantly about him, or that it had annexed him because of his so-called superiority.

His younger brother was like a dog. He barked and barked, and could roll over on the floor, performing meaningless tasks for his family. But he could never rise above any challenge. He'd sink to his knees without Logan Roy, and would sink with him kicking him.

Then there was Shiv, who was constantly running away from herself, stuck playing pretend in politics and attaching herself to someone everyone felt that she didn't real love. Could Shiv love? That was the question. Wasn't it? She had gotten married. But would Tom stay, and would she test it?

Kendall wasn't in the clear. He was emotional, he cried, yes. But he had always strived to be the most intelligent and fastest person in the room, he had drive and on most days, confidence. He wouldn't just fuck off. He couldn't. He had pushed and betrayed and made mistakes, and lost.

And now, here lay the opportunity for him to gain everything he had lost.

All portrayed to him through a singular promise from his father.

Logan Roy wasn't a trusting man, no, never. But Kendall Roy had an ego, and a drive that pushed him to become self serving, even if it meant bulldozing the people he loved in the process. It happened with his children, with his ex wife, with his siblings and now, his father wanted it to happen with his girlfriend.

And what Logan wanted, he got.

And he was offering Kendall what he wanted.

After a lifetime of being groomed for the role of CEO, it was all Kendall wanted. He didn't care about how many steps it took, or how he got there. He wanted the power. The promise he'd been waiting for years to receive. Kendall felt needy without it, practically jealous of anyone or anything else who had what he wanted. While he'd never admit it, that did include his partner.

Marguerite Garnier had inherited her father's multi billion dollar company, a company she didn't want, and a job she seemed to hate. Judging by how she drank on the daily, and begrudgingly answered her emails, it didn't seem like she wanted it for any reason other than that it was her own.

And it was, it had her name.

It had been her family's for around a century.

And now Kendall Roy was supposed to steal it all for his father.

So as he laid in bed with her, his hands playing with her hair gently, trying to untangle the strands he had picked up, he thought to himself about what was the most important thing to him.

And while he might've said it was her, because he did love her, and he always had. He loved himself too. He loved opportunity, and he wanted his father to accept him in the same manner, to trust him as he had before everything.

So, he watched her twitch in her sleep and whispered an apology, pulling her closer to him, and placing an arm around her.

Sink or swim?

He believed he could drown her.

His opportunity had started the following week, well, rather sprouted as his assistant kindly had reminded him of his daughter's own birthday party. Something he hadn't really been looking after, only knowing that the theme park had been rented out for her.