35

Marguerite Garnier had been having an excellent week. She and her boyfriend had been fucking like rabbits. Really. Like rabbits. Kendall, sure he was stressed with work and what his father had tasked him with, but he'd still found time for Marguerite and their addictions.

Garnier stock was up, the company was doing fine. Logan Roy had even praised the new CEO on Twitter, although she was sure the message had come from someone on their communications team, not Logan himself.

And now, her COO Lawrence, a friend of her father's had flown into town for the weekend.

Their dinner- originally planned to be between their partners had come down to just her and Lawrence due to his wife falling ill with a cough, and Kendall being pulled into the Vaulter offices. He'd promised to try and stop by, but she'd accepted that he wasn't going to come hours earlier.

So it was her and Lawrence.

On her third glass of wine, he had smiled at her wryly, as if he was holding back from saying anything at all "What?" Marguerite finally asked, placing her glass down gently "Is something wrong? The wine too American?"

He shrugs "Californian wine is fine. I won't complain." But he motions to her glass and grins a little "Has anyone ever told you that you drink just like him?"

"Surprisingly, yes" her mind falls back to the wedding, and the snide comment from Logan Roy falls in front of her.

"Ah. So I'm not insane" he smiles "Garnier's and your drinks."

Yes, they all loved to drink. Alcoholism practically ran through their veins. The conversation had lingered mostly on work, rarely drifting into their personal lives. But this was the first mention of her father.

"Lou, how are you?" He asks "How are you handling it?"

She shrugs "I've seen death before. My mother has been gone for a long time."

"Yes, but you were a child then, and Louis? He was a complicated man."

"I am well aware." She says curtly, trying to move the conversation away from her father.

He raises an eyebrow "Are you well? I've heard—"

He's being polite. He isn't going to say what he's heard. And he isn't going to speak much on Kendall Roy.

"Heard what?" Marguerite asks "I've heard plenty myself, half of which have never been true."

Well, maybe he would.

"For starters, Kendall Roy?" He asks "You ought to know how that family acts." Lawrence raises his glass to his lips again "You grew up in their hornets nest."

"I've known Kendall for a long time."

"No." He corrects "You've known him as the daughter of someone his father wanted happy. Now you're fighting against him and his father."

She rolls her eyes "I've known Shiv for years."

Lawrence smirks "I am well aware. Your father was not a fan."

"I know."

"Be more careful, Marguerite. I'm hearing whispers—or rumors that someone has been planting or asking around for stories focusing on your—" he looks around and then taps his nose "You know."

At first, she thinks he's referencing her nose job, but then she realizes he is talking about blow. She wrinkles her nose, everyone in the city did coke once in their life.