42

"You wonder why I am never here" Marguerite Garnier spat, scowling at her husband "Why would I? When this is what you say to me. Honestly, Louis."

"All I did was suggest that you pay attention to Lou. Her doctor believes that she is, well..." he makes a face "You've read the same papers as I."

The woman rolled her eyes and then fidgeted with her bracelets "Her name has never been Lou. So stop using that ridicu-" she stops herself "You know, none of it is real either. Children, they love to make things up. Our child is capable of similar."

The model wasn't one to believe in anything that hadn't happened to her, or hadn't occurred right in front of her eyes, so the idea of anything being wrong with her daughter was practically impossible to her.

Besides, she hadn't seen her daughter in months.

She had been clinging to her relevancy in fashion houses for months now, and attempting to indulge in new campaigns. Now, after little to no luck, and another nose job, and a fling with an American actor, she was back in the arms of Louis Garnier.

A man who would always take her back, even if the love she gave him was never real, and usually just for money to be allotted to her. Their daughter being an after thought. It was comical, really. Their lives read as a soap opera.

And while they were a private joke or a well discussed problem to many of the companies and families they worked with, no one could say anything about it, you'd ever send the already quiet CEO into a bitter and complex silence, or spark the vain rage of a woman who slurred her words due to the amount of pills she liked to watch dissolve in her drinks.

"The Doctor says that she needs a mother, so while you are here, please make an effort with her."

"She has a nanny, doesn't she? That god awful woman? The fat one?"

He rolls his eyes and looks down at the stack of papers on his deck. He needed a drink. It had been about forty minutes since the last one, and this conversation was going to spill his guts along the floor. Marguerite tended to do that to him these days.

She probably always had. He'd just drank anyways and she'd been less judgmental in the early days.

"A nanny is not a mother" he says, signing a form "You ought to know that. You had a mother. Didn't you?"

"I did, and you know how I feel about her" the woman sighs "Not even a nursing home is an awful enough home for her."

"Then if you don't want Lou to do the same with you, I suggest you go bake with her. Do something. Please."

"Her name is Marguerite, it has never been Lou" she starts "and, I don't bake."

"You don't have to bake. Take her shopping. I am sure she would love a new..." he trails off, not knowing what his daughter would even want, waving a hand instead "Take her to some store."

"Some store? Louis, you used to have taste, and you were at least funny."

"Really?" He says with disdain "Well, I am sorry. I was quite fond of your third nose. But it seems both of us have changed."

She scoffs, making room to sit on the edge of his desk, causing him to look up, a confused look on his face "What could a child like that even have wrong with her? She has more than I ever did."

"She has everything I did" Louis mutters and then looks back down at his work "How do you think I turned out?"

"Bitter and lonely. Spiteful."