Honeymoon States

Marguerite Roy and Kendall Roy were tight lipped as they made their way into Logan Roy's former apartment. Ignoring the flashes of cameras as they made their way up the front steps and into the home. Marguerite using her free hand to shield the lights and cameras from her son, who was less than happy to have been carried around to and fro for the past three days of his life.

She couldn't get a read on her husband, not even as he gripped her waist tightly, pulling her against him as they entered the apartment building. She hadn't understood where he was with his grief last night, and she didn't know. All that she knew was that she was here, and that she couldn't sleep.

Her head plagued with nightmares of nights she had thought to be long gone.

Standing in the elevator, Kendall pulled his jacket off, holding it over his shoulders and sighing "Welcome to the shit show, Ken" he murmured to his son as the doors opened, revealing the halls stuffed with wolves and mourners.

She was standing in a dead man's apartment. She could tell, just from the way Kendall's eyes lingered over the living room. "You're okay" Marguerite muttered "You'll be fine."

"Yeah. Yeah. Whatever." He takes their son from her quietly, and lets her push up against him comfortingly, enjoying her warmth and the sudden desire from her to get close. Something he hasn't felt in around a year.

Then the first of the wolves arrives.

Marcia.

"Oh" Kendall clicks his tongue "Hello, Marcia."

"Hi, Kendall. Hi." She smiles at Marguerite and then her eyes fall over the baby "Congratulations. How old is he?"

"Thank you. Uh" he turns to Marguerite, unsure of how old their son is.

"Four months."

"Wow. Congratulations." Then her face saddens once more "Mes Condoléances" she says after hugging him, remembering that this was in fact a funeral.

"Sorry for your loss" she adds

"Thank you. Uh, likewise."

"Yes. It's a terrible shock."

"Right" Kendall squeezes her side a little harder, desperately wanting the conversation to end "And uh, where—where have you... When did you get in?"

"We spoke every morning and afternoon. So I came as soon as I heard."

"Okay. Yeah, I mean uh, I honestly—I didn't think you guys were...you know?"

"We were very close. It was complicated, but we spoke intimately every evening."

"Right. Okay. Um."

No one knew what to say to that.

So they walked off, into the hoard of people, all eyes lingering on the former heir, who was back with his wife, and the new heir, Kendall's heir sitting in his arms. Life continues. For many of them, they had only heard the baby existed. They'd never seen him. And now, here he was, Kendall Logan Roy II. A real breathing child.

"Praying for you, Ken." One calls out

"Hey brother"

"Sorry, Ken"

More meaningless apologies and words from people who in all honesty, probably didn't care.

"Thank you. Thanks, Cyd." Kendall murmurs, feeling his grip tighten on both his son and wife. The two items in the room he had control over. Or the two in the room that he loved the most.

Then there were Shiv and Roman.

Kendall hands the baby back to Marguerite as she goes to sit down next to Shiv.