63

Marguerite Roy and Kendall Roy II returned home closer to midnight, far after Logan Roy had been taken home and then to the hospital. Long after the boat and goodbyes. Long after Roman saw him out of the plane. But the silence still remained. Kendall Roy just ushered his family into the car and they rode in silence. None of them speaking. Their son was sleepy. He'd been rushed back and forth for the past two days. 

Marguerite Roy was tense.

She had spent the majority of her plane ride texting Lukas Matsson, discussing next moves and whatnot. Or, sexting. Which had mainly come from Lukas, but she had participated either way.

And now, she sat in the car with her husband and son. They were all pretending everything was fine, well, except for their son, who didn't know anything about anything.

He'd never know the man that was Logan Roy.

And that was something Marguerite and Kendall couldn't decide if they were grateful for the fact or not.

But the first words were finally spoken, as the pair ventured back into New York City, stuck on the highway, cars and their lights sticking out and shining brightly.

The news had broke. But none of the lights were for him. Life continues on.

Even when billionaires die.

Life, continues on.

That was something Marguerite understood well. Her parents were already gone. But Kendall hadn't lost anyone yet. He had his entire life still. He'd never felt the loss of a parent. And that usually opened a well.

But he hadn't shed her many tears.

"I'm better than him, right?" He finally asked her, squeezing her hand tightly.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm a better father, aren't I?"

"Of course" Marguerite whispers "Yes, of course you are."

"But—But uh, he wasn't bad either. He wasn't." Marguerite starts "All of our parents, they aren't great, but uh, they love us."

Her mother didn't love her, and Logan could go down as just as bad as her mother. But she wanted to give him solace.

"You don't need to lie, Lou."

"I'm doing what they did for me, after my Mother died" she says slowly "And—And trust me, you want someone to say this to you. Your Dad, he loved you. Even though it wasn't right, or the best love, he did."

He picks up Kendall and sighs a little, looking over his son "I—I just want to do better. To be better."

"You already are"

"Am I?"

Marguerite nods her head "Yeah, yeah Ken. You are."

Thinking back to Paris, she doesn't really find anything wrong with what she's done. Or like she needs to admit anything to Kendall. Especially not now, and besides, this wasn't anything serious. This was giving someone comfort.

Hell, what was she even trying to say? She didn't know what it was. She didn't.

"Can I—Can I kiss you?" He asks quietly, unsure of where the pair are in their relationship at the moment.

"Go ahead, honey. Yeah."

He kisses her softly, and she deepens the kiss, unsure as to why she does it at first, she does it anyways. She misses him. That's what it is. She misses her husband. She misses Kendall.

But that feeling doesn't take away anger and hurt.

So she slinks off and away, placing a hand on his chest as a sign of comfort.