C H A P T E R T H I R T Y

THIRD PERSON POV

Fern's closed eyes strained as she stretched her arms above her head and arched her back away from the gunner's seat in order to resituate her aching body. Back-to-back missions never agreed with her. This time, the squad had just landed on a spaceport belonging to the Vanguard Axis, who according to Cid were notorious for illegal smuggling, after they completed a cargo dump on Florrum. There was a bit of a scuffle that involved the female clone almost getting crushed by a speeder. Hunter insisted she take it easy inside the Marauder while Omega and Echo guarded it from the outside. The others set out in full gear to deliver the chain codes Tech had forged.

To her surprise, they were taking longer than expected. What was keeping them from dropping off one case, collecting their payment, and returning without any issues? Fern's suspicions convinced her that these dangerously methodical droids were very thorough with their business.

The air around her was quiet, as per how she would usually like it, but just staring out the viewport of the gunner's mount gave her a gut-feeling that this place was skeptical, and not just because it dealt with the black market. The entire spaceport, she observed, was operated by the same menacing-looking droids that were programmed to abide to the strict policies of Vanguard Axis. And they appeared they could take a punch if provoked.

Grr.....

Fern's ears perked as she lopped her head over to the right. Did she hear a soft growl just now, or was she hearing things? Perhaps she'd mistaken it for a piece of machinery somewhere in the ship bay. Feeling bored, she forced herself to roll out of the seat and hop down from her and Omega's room. The moment she turned around, she caught movement in the cockpit. Instantly, a wave of uneasiness washed over her — she strode in a direct line across the ship to find Echo casually running diagnotics.

Her eyes widened. "Echo, what are you doing?" She grabbed the back of the chair the cyborg clone relaxed in. He glanced up at her, oblivious to the serious tone in her voice, and plainly explained how he was prepping the ship for when the others returned. Fern's head whipped around. "Where's Omega?"

"She's sitting out there. She's just watching for anything suspicious."

Fern blinked. "And who's watching her?"

Echo hesitated, to which she groaned and sprinted for the ship's exit, the former followed close behind. They both jumped down and scanned the area. Omega was nowhere to be seen. "She was just here." Echo said in disbelief.

Fern's face burned with infuriation. "That. Is. It." she growled, her fists clenched at her hips.

"Fern—"

"Why did you leave her alone?!" Fern shouted in his face. Echo didn't get the opportunity to respond as he watched Fern immediately dash across the bay and disappear through a panel door. He raced after her with a second thought.

———————————————————————

FERN'S POV

My vision was blinded by all the raging thoughts in my head as I sprinted through one corridor after another. Why? was the imitating question... Why couldn't Omega obey? Why must she run off? Why doesn't she understand?... All I wanted was for her to register that there was danger everywhere we go in the galaxy. Especially where you least expect it. It's why the boys and I trained her. It's why we wanted her to stay close. Why was that so hard for her to follow?... Doesn't she realize how her actions affect the squad? Doesn't she know that what we tell her is for her own protection? For the whole squad's safety?

It'd only take one little slip-up for...for Athena to reveal herself again...And that is something I could not risk.

I found myself in a warehouse when I finally spotted the young girl, and it wasn't relief that surged through my body. Instead, something snapped inside me...