Chapter 24: The Dying Island (Part 2)

Regina's POV

The next morning is uneventful except for my dying plants. We went back on site, they have no use on the impending drought.

But all of us has a clearer mind today, especially Ali. He decided to wait first for my dad to comeback before planning the next move. He is still insisting to do the ritual of transferring the power of the moon to an unanimated object, I don't really know why.

He told me not to think of the vision too much. We'll just always do our best in everything.

A little less anxiety on how he reacts on things, a little firmer on everything he says. I don't know what happened to him overnight but we're getting that Ali back. He is always the dad of the group, I guess. Maybe, he is ready to embrace this new role.

And I don't know about everyone else, but I am comforted with his confidence.

Narda is in the infirmary again, helping as best as she could. Just a day and she and Noah already knows the healer's language like the medical plants or the purpose of the songs. All patients from yesterday were transferred to a larger area far from the community. My mother is in charge of that place while Narda is here in the smaller infirmary led by other healers.

Come noontime and the Vanguardias gathered in one of the elder's houses. A group prepared lunch for everyone.

I am in the balcony at the second floor, just looking around. I saw Noah arrived at the front porch. Ali and Ishna are laughing while he rants his heart out, kakarating pa lang niya.

Noah is training with Claudio in the morning while in the afternoon, he will be with my mother attending the patients. It's funny that Claudio had to force gatekeeper's things to him, and Noah is so stubborn about it. It bothered him that he is not with the patients. He should be a healer, instead.

Narda came into view. She's talking to one of the healers as they walk towards the house. Her hair is tied in a bun as usual. She likes it that way if she is working. She's wearing a comfy cargo pants and a white shirt. Her hands in her pockets while walking.

Several steps later, she sensed me. Napatingala siya and found me in the balcony, just waiting for her. She gave me a smile and mouthed, "wait mo ako diyan.". I nodded.

After a while, two sets of arms hugged my waist from behind. "Kanina ka pa?" She asked.

I just gave her a smile and nodded when she moved beside me. Tumingala siya sa langit.

"There's lavender haze in the morning. Clear spring sky at noon.. " She said and I looked at her confused. "Memorize ko yung kwento mo about sa kung anong itsura ng isla nyo."

"Oh." I said.

"Sayang walang sunset kahapon dahil sa ulan." Sabi niya.

"Maybe, meron na later." I said.

"Nood tayo?" She asked. "Twilight is painted with colors all at once. Blue, orange, red, pink, indigo. Sunset is really a sight."

"Stop!" I laughed. She really memorized it word per word.

...

Our own bubble bursts when we heard a commotion downstairs kaya dali dali kaming bumaba.

So today is the day.

A gate from the human world opened and my dad appeared.

Tuloy tuloy ako pababa ng hagdan. Ali is beside Noah and Ish. He looked at me. Tumango lang ako.

My mother is also on site.

My father has this smirk while scanning the face of everyone. His eyes in dark purple. He saw me and gave me his full attention.