Chapter One: Homecoming

This was a story I worked on and posted on AO3. Thought some people here would also like to read it :)

___________

   I sat on the steps of the boarding school reading to my  twin brother who sat next to me. He could read but he liked to make me  practice since my reading could, 'always be improved' he'd tell me.

   "My my if it isn't the Van Der Linde prince and princess."  My head shot up at the sound of that oh-so-familiar voice. Josiah  Trelawny teasingly bowed in front of us.

   "Uncle Trelawny!" I exclaimed as i jumped up and hugged  him. "I knew you'd come to visit! Henry said you wouldn't." I pointed  at Henry who had taken the book and kept reading.

   "Of course, I have to visit. Especially since today is your  tenth birthday." He seemed to pull two presents out of nowhere. One  pink that was a bit long and one blue that was a little wide.

   "Whoa!" I jumped excitedly. "Can I have the blue one?"

   Trelawny chuckled. "Usually, I'd let you have whatever you  want. However, these are from your father." He handed me the pink one.

   I pouted a bit at the pink box. "I don't like pink.."

   Henry got up and took the blue box sighing, "I don't  understand why he even bothers if he doesn't want to see us..." Henry  mumbled.

   "I think you know as much as I do if your father could, he would drop these off himself." Trelawny patted Henry on the back trying  to reassure him. "Go on and open them up."

   I pulled off the top and smiled. Inside was a brand new dark  wood violin. "Oh! How did he know I lost my old one?" I jumped  hugging the box.

   Henry took his off and found a small wooden and gold telescope  with a small stand to put on a table. "Uncle Trelawny, how did he know I  want to study astronomy?" He asked suspiciously.

   "He had sent a letter to your teachers asking."

   "But he can't send my sister a letter?" Henry challenged.

   Trelawny smiled at you both, "He's doing the best he can.  Well, I must be off I have an important meeting. I will be back in a few  months." He patted us both on the head and left.

   But I wouldn't see him again. For a long time.

——————–

   1899

"Hey, lady! Gimmie me another drink!" The already drunk trapper  slurred as he shook his glass at me. I was currently taking some plates to the back when he yelled for me.

I took a long sigh before turning to face him. "No, I'm cuttin' you off. You do this every night. It ain't good for you." The trapper looked hurt but didn't complain. I took the dishes to the back and began washing them.

When Henry and I were teens we found out our father's real occupation when we saw his wanted poster in town. Henry said it would be best if we  dropped our last name for a fake one. So from that day on the two of us went by Henry and Etta Butler.

Henry and I were so close to finishing college. I wasn't sure who exactly had been paying for all our  schooling. I had an idea who, but Henry wouldn't admit it. Then just as both of we were about to go into your last semester we had been told no one ever paid for our classes and we were all but thrown out on our butts.