Chapter Twenty Four: There is No More Faith

I bent down next to my father as he looked into the binoculars. He mustn't have heard me because he jumps as I speak, "Why are you getting in this mess?"

"Daughter! Glad of you to join us. I honestly didn't expect it."

"I'm only here to make sure you don't get anyone killed."

Dutch sighs and sits up, "I'm glad you have so much faith in me."

I could see a wagon followed by four men on horses. "You aren't trying to kill them are you?"

"Of course not, dirty thing, murder is." He says waving me off.

"I highly doubt that as of late."

Dutch rolled his eyes and sighed again, "We will not have this discussion now. First, we must help these people get free."

"Dutch, I don't think getting involved is what we need right now." I grabbed both my pistols and my bolt action rifle. "I just don't want any danger brought to the camp."

"Is that why you've been staying away?"

"I don't feel safe in the camp right now for obvious reasons."

He opened his mouth to speak but a young native man cut him off, "They're coming."

"What are we going to be doing?" I ask the boy.

"We will be messing with him, and taking their payroll."

I gave Dutch a dirty look, "Is he joking?"

"No, he's not. But the money is all going to them."

I groaned and stopped walking as the two walked ahead. I could sense two bodies stopping next to me. I glanced to either side to see Arthur and Charles both looking as irritated as I felt.

"Do we help?" Charles asks. He and I both glance up at Arthur.

"I guess... but don't kill anyone. Or at least try not to."

Eagles Flies walks to the cart of explosives to help the other natives as Arthur catches up to Dutch. Dutch, already holding some explosives has a huge smirk on his face, "It's perfect Arthur. We let them do most of the work and everyone will be too worried about the 'Native problem' that they won't see us floating up the river to freedom."

Charles looks visibly disgusted as Dutch carries on. "That's horrible," I mumble mainly to myself.

"Etta why not help your husband put dynamite in the trees." Dutch orders, oblivious to everyone's disgust with his grand plan.

"We're using them?" Arthur asks, hoping he misheard Dutch.

"Not exactly." Dutch tries to say

"These are good people," Arthur says over him, "We could help these people."

Dutch side eyes me as if I spoke, "Let's just get this done." He mumbles annoyed.

Eagles Flies Yells from the top of the cliff that we needed to hurry. Arthur mumbles for me to hold the end of the spool as he walks it across the road. I hold on to it as Arthur and dutch walk to each tree and attach the wire to the dynamite Dutch hangs on the trees. As they get further I see Dutch say something to Arthur that makes him stop in his tracks and look back at me. He's just barely far enough away that I can't quite read his expression.

"That should be enough, come back up here." Eagles yells from the top of the cliff. The men stop and walk back towards me. Charles had already started to head back up.

Arthur gently takes the wire I was holding and starts to walk back up making sure I follow. "Dutch says the law caught Colm." He states. His back is towards me so I still don't understand his reaction.